Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My challenge and game plan

So now that I wrote about Japan I feel like I can move on to lighter things.

Today my sweet babe had a delightful conversation with the mobile animals on his swing before he fell asleep. It was pretty cute. He is becoming such a flirt! Lately he would rather smile, coo, and flirt with me than nurse. It's quite funny. I smile at him, he smiles back. I smile bigger, he smiles bigger. He also thinks it's really fun to try and smile and coo when the binky is in his mouth.

Mostly he's just dang cute.

Also last night he slept through the night.
I fed him at 8 pm.
He fell asleep around 9:30 pm.
He woke up at 4:50 am.
That's 9 hours without food.
7 1/2 hours of straight sleep.
He spent only 30 min awake at 5, then was asleep again til 8 am.
Can he please do that every night?

I did a little "research" about it online (google)...if it's "normal" for a 10 week old to sleep that long. I guess it is. Especially when the baby has had a consistent night time routine they sleep through the night sooner. I'd say we have a consistent routine.

Every night at the same time (between 7:30-8 pm) I feed him. Change diaper. Dress in pj's. Double swaddle. The hold him and rock him while I read "Love you Forever." Then when he's almost asleep, but not completely out, I lay him in the crib.

Sometimes he's out and we don't hear him.
Sometimes he fusses right away.
Sometimes he sleeps 30 minutes, then fusses once and is out.
Sometimes he sleeps 15 min, fusses, sleeps, wakes, fusses, sleeps.
But he hasn't ever fussed more than 2 or 3 times.
And he hasn't ever been awake still after 9:30 ish.
Except when we're not home.

And we do let him cry it out.
(unless the cry turns to a "I need you now!!" wail)
(and really, it's usually more of a fussy-tired cry)
He doesn't usually cry more than 5-10 minutes.
And he sleeps longer and better when we let him do that.
It's not for everyone, I know.
But it works for us.

Enough about the baby. Here's some facts about me.

The other night I challenged my hubby to a "who can get a 6-pack (abs) first?" contest.
He declined.
But he offered me $150 to have a flat stomach by May 15th.

Don't ask why that date.
I have no idea.
Random.

I think it's possible. But I'm not 100% sure. He did say that it doesn't necessarily have to be a six pack, but he'll be the judge.
...$150 sure sounds nice for some new clothes
So, if I don't write my goals down, and I don't make it public some way, and I don't have someone to be accountable to (besides myself), then it doesn't usually happen. So, here is my game plan.
Keep in mind I'm still less than 10 weeks post-partum
Which means the plan could change.
But right now it sounds good. in my head.

Mon/Wed/Fri- 30+ min cardio: walking/running, mall walking, tae-bo, bicycle, elliptical
Tues/Thurs/Sat- 30+ strength/abs: free weights, squats, lunges, abs, calf raises, glutes
Sunday- rest

Food:
Since I can't restrict my calories too much because of nursing, I am limited to what I can do.
Smart snacks: fruit, veggies, yogurt, granola bar, string cheese, jerky, etc. 100-200 cal
Smart meals: lots of protein, salads, veggies, fruits, etc. Portion control.
Water: at least 96 oz. a day
Sugar: limit to only 1 or 2 sweet treats a day
-this will be the toughest. I'm a chocoholic. I feel the need to have a dessert after every meal. Even breakfast sometimes. Ice cream, cookies, chocolates, easter candy, etc. I'm awful at it. But, this is the thing that will help me the most. If I can limit and/or cut sugar out, I know I'll drop inches fast.

Lately we've been on a salad kick. I bought a ton of lettuce and we're trying to use it up. We have salads as a side with everything and then have salads as meals too with lots of veggies and fun stuff. It's yummy and healthy!

Also, there's this little thing that gets in the way of this wonderful-on-paper-and-in-my-head plan: nursing.

Nursing makes me so hungry! I seriously could eat every single hour. And no matter how much I eat, I'm still hungry an hour later. It's stupid. I guess I should drink more water and just try to overcome it.

Any moms out there got any advice, tips, or anything else to share that might help me?

p.s. Do I write too much? Sometimes I think I do. But I have alot to say! Plus, I want to have some record of cute things that happen with my babe. I'm not very good at journaling, so this is pretty much my journal. And maybe I want to go buy some Easter candy tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. MMMM I LOVE Easter candy!! :o) Oh those mini Cadbury eggs are my favorite. I found them at Christmastime too, in red and green balls. YUM!

    You are so lucky! What a well-behaved baby! We try to let Nathan cry it out when he's using his "tired" cry, but it always turns into a wail. We've discovered a few tricks this week that work really well to help him put himself to sleep, his binky and whoozit. I hope it keeps working and that I can join the lucky-moms-with-well-behaved-babies club!

    PS--I love flirty nursing babies :o) Nathan laughs while nursing a lot. It melts my heart!! I love it! THIS is why it's so easy to bond when you're nursing! :o)

    You have the opposite problem that I do. I lost weight and got into shape right away but i'm not hungry much at all, so i'm force-feeding myself all the time. I feel so unhealthy and Nathan still nurses every 2 hours, which has to mean I'm not eating enough, since he should be eating like every 4 hours by now.

    I'd say keep drinking fluids. And, if you want a good, hearty, yet healthy & filling snack, I'd try the Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars. 35% daily fiber, yummy (REAL, not fake) chocolate, and I believe they come in 90 calories too. This is what I grab when I'm force feeding myself b/c they're delicious!!

    Good luck to you! Yay for baby adventures, right? :o) Sorry if i'm "overly commentative" on your blog, but I feel like we have so much in common!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karissa!
    Sounds like Blake is starting to get on a great night time schedule! Aspen was that way too, it was awesome. As long as we were totally consistent.

    Madi? well, for the first few years she was great. Now, I have no idea what to do. I've been up since 3:30am this morning with her... luckily, Tysen finally started sleeping through the night a couple of months ago. About the time Madi's schedule flew out the window.

    Thanks for sharing your healthy plan! The hardest part about having a January baby for me was the inability to get outside as much as I wanted to. Because it is cold. And sometimes very depressing. When I am stuck inside all the time, I get the munchies and gravitate towards the kitchen... And I am SO like you... chocolate is the worst (but best. because I want it all the time.) I found some sugar-free dark-chocolate covered almonds at Winco. LOOOOVE them!! And they totally satisfy me, after only a couple. If you can handle dark chocolate, you usually won't eat nearly as much because it satisfies better. Just a thought :) Oh- but it does give me zits more than usual. Or maybe that is stress. Nursing was always super-hard for me because I was in pain 80% of the time, even though I adored the bonding time. You may be one of those gals who will lose the last of the baby-weight after nursing is over. All I can say is that nursing is hands-down THE best for your baby, so if it takes a little longer to lose the extra weight, little Blake is certainly worth it!!

    ReplyDelete