Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Secrets that will change your life

Before I reveal my secrets, here is a picture.

Can you believe how stinkin cute he is?
Oh my goodness.
I seriously cannot get over his cuteness.
And how big he's getting.
And how happy he is.
AHH! I love my baby.







I have finally done it.


I have mastered....

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Okay. I have some explaining. Then I'll post the recipe.

First off, I can cook really well. I know this, hubby knows this, friends and family know this. I know when I make something that is less than stellar because it doesn't taste good, and I know when I make something amazing. I'm picky like that. I'm not ashamed to say I can whip up some dang good food. However, I lack in the baking department.

Even hubby agrees with that.
Cookies are more of a baking thing than a cooking thing.
I'm not sure why it's so difficult for me to bake.
A couple times hubby has said things like "maybe you should stick to cooking dinner and let me handle the baking."
Yes, he has better baking tendencies than me. Oh well.

So, I'm picky about chocolate chip cookies. Don't get me wrong, I'll always try one. If I like it, I might eat two. If I don't, I won't. I have been in search of my favorite CCC recipe for many years. Quite often the dough is too sweet, or not salty enough. Or the cookies collapse. Or the cookies look that grayish un-done color when they're at the perfect gooey stage. Or the consistency is not right. Or they taste too much like shortening and flour and not enough like sweet yummyness. Etc.

But I finally found the perfect combination.
For me.

Here are my secrets:
-Use part butter and part shortening.
Why? The butter adds the savory, salty, yummy flavor I love, the shortening keeps the cookies fluffy and soft, and they don't collapse in that gooey stage.
-Use chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
Why? It adds a bigger assortment of flavors. Every cookie is different, yet every cookie is delicious. The variety of chips adds an element of surprise and sweet flavor.
-Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.
Note: this is in my oven. Which I am still learning how to use. When cooked in my oven at this temp for this time, these cookies have a perfect golden top, gooey inside, and crisp edges.

Now, here is the biggest secret of all: With the butter/shortening combo, you have to be really careful with the butter temperature! It has to be soft enough to beat, but not melting. And, if you leave it on the counter too long, it'll get too melty and the dough will get that gray/brown color and the cookies will collapse. (I've tested this out) So, as soon as you whip up a batch, throw some in the oven, then REFRIGERATE the dough asap! Or you can freeze it. The fridging/freezing stage also helps the flour absorb the flavors more so the dough becomes even more savory and delicious. And the key is to keep the dough that very light color.

I don't have a picture of the cookies.
But here is the color the dough is and should be.



So basically, with these secrets I have finally figured out, and this recipe, it has all come together for the most amazing and delicious chocolate chip cookies I have ever made in my life. YUM!!!!



Mom Dodds' Chocolate Chip Cookies (with my edits)
1 1/2 c. shortening
*1 c. shortening, 1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teas. vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/2 teas. soda
1 1/2 teas. salt
3 1/2-4 c. flour
*I start with just under 3 1/2 then add more as needed. The dough should be soft and just barely sticky to the touch.
2 c. chocolate chips
*I never measure the chips. But I would guess I do about 1 c. chocolate, 1/3 c. white, 1/3 c. butterscotch.
1 c. nuts (optional)
Beat shortening, sugars, vanilla eggs. Add soda, salt, flour. Mix well. Add chips. Drop onto cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes (8 min is perfect for our oven)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting your secret. I am going to try these soon. chocolate chip cookies are by far my favorite and cant wait to see if I can make them as well as you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karissa! Have you ever tried the butter-flavor shortening? What's your opinion on it? I actually really like it in cookies! But don't usually buy it because Costco only sells the regular kind, and we tend to go through a lot of shortening with as many cookies as we eat around our house...

    oh, and I love making them with Peanut Butter chips as well as chocolate chips, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this! I'm very picky about chocolate chip cookies as well! We did just (finally) figure out, however, that our oven cooks really hot. We usually have to dial it down 50 degrees and even then still shorten the time or we burn everything! Mitch's mom makes really good CCC, and I hope he can start to look forward to mine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm! I'm going to have to try your variation! Good thing Andrew and I bought some chocolate chips yesterday!
    I'm definitely more of a baker myself, so if you have any really good, inexpensive cooking ideas, please let me know!

    -Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried your recipe! I have definitely never made a cookie that gooey and delicious. My cookies always turned out hard and not so delicious! You are awesome. Keep up with the passionate work!

    ReplyDelete