Thursday, March 24, 2011

A "sports injury" from swaddling??

I think I am the only person in the whole world that could sprain their rotator cuff swaddling a baby.


My baby was an escape artist.
Most nights we would find the swaddle completely intact but with both arms out.
How?
No idea.
So I got tired of it.
I started the double swaddle.
Worked for one night.
Then he got out.
So I decided to swaddle tighter.
And one night, I apparently swaddled too tight.
For me.

I was pulling the blanket as tight as I could and I heard a distinct pop in my shoulder.
Followed by intense, extreme pain from my shoulder to my fingers.
I couldn't move for a minute.
I finished the swaddle as best I could and stumbled to bed.

A few days later I went to the chiropractor (well, intern).
After lots of ranges of motion testing, she announced my treatment plan:

"I want to do laser treatment on your shoulder. It appears that you have strained or sprained your rotator cuff."
Are you kidding?
Seriously?
I sprained my rotator cuff....SWADDLING A FREAKIN BABY!

Who does that!?
...apparently me.

So anyway, I think she's probably right. It hurts like crazy when I move my arm certain ways and especially when I, well, rotate.

Imagine that.

7 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! Laughing...and feeling sorry for you all at once! Feel better soon, and no more swaddling!! make Scott do it. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry, but I really can't help but to laugh. That's seriously something I would do though which is probably why I find it so funny.. I hope the shoulder is okay :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that the body releases special hormones during pregnancy that make your joints loosen up in preparation for the delivery. You probably still have some of those in your system. My sister-in-law was in horrible pain for two weeks during her last pregnancy before finally making an appt with a physical therapist who told her what that her hip was dislocated! I remember the joints in my shoulders feeling loose the whole time I was nursing both of my girls, like I could easily dislocate them, but thankfully never did! I would feel it start to go out of the socket, then reposition before it happened. It was worse with Madison because she was a chunky monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's impressive ;-)

    I gave up on swaddling Peyton after about a week. He hated it and would wiggle out anyways haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To swaddle or not to swaddle, that is the question. That's easy...don't swaddle, just saying. Hope your shoulder gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Set my grandson free!!!! Love ya, papa ding

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! That sounds so painful! I hope you feel better soon! How long will the laser treatments continue?

    ReplyDelete