Sunday, March 13, 2011

sick baby

Our baby is sick.

(this is not a sick baby photo)
(it is a cute, chubby, happy, baby-who-never-stops-kicking-and-moving-so-his-limbs-are-always-blurry-in-photos- photo)

Not really-really sick, but he has a little cold.

It broke my heart last night when he woke up 45 minutes after going to sleep because he had a stuffy nose so he couldn't breathe as easily. I tried using the syringe to get some of the stuff out, but I'm not that good at it. He screamed like crazy. I wanted to cry a little. Then, of course, I couldn't sleep because I kept listening for him wanting to make sure he was okay.

Which he was, of course.

And then he woke up this morning and his eyes were red and watery, his nose was still stuffy, and he had a little cough every so often, but he was still smiling at me.
We stayed home from church.
I fed him and cuddled him.
Poor guy was exhausted too!
I think he only slept for about an hour yesterday between 6pm-11:15pm.
no, we're not bad parents.
we tried to put him to sleep.
he didn't want to.
we were hanging with some friends, and he wanted to be social too.

So he's been sleeping alot today.
Which is good.
Because being tired and having a cold is a bad combination.
I just hope he doesn't get any worse because I feel so helpless now, I can't imagine how it would be if he was worse. And really, he's not that bad. You probably couldn't tell. But I can. Because I know my baby. And I know when he's not acting normal and when he's feeling sick.

Amazing what kind of mom super powers you get when you give birth.

We also have our 2 month check up on Tuesday. So I'm not too worried about him since he'll see the doctor anyway. Not that I would rush to give him medicine (unless it was necessary) but it'll be nice to have her check him out and make sure he's fine.

I think this marks the beginning of the never ending: mom-worries-about-baby/kid/teenager-when-sick phase.

Or actually more appropriately: mom-never-stops-worrying-about-her-children-ever. phase.

It's so fun.
And something I wouldn't trade anything in the world for.

2 comments:

  1. I am with you! Evey time emma gets shots it makes her sick for like a week. We are currently finishing up the sickness from 18mo. shots. It is so sad. The best thing the doctor ever told me was to get saline drops for her nose.(they are just over the counter anywhere) she HATES getting them in but it REALLY helps with babies since they can't blow it out. Just something to think about and ask your doc at the checkup! We have 2 bottles of that stuff on hand just in case : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww I hate it when little ones are sick! So helpless and sad...all you can do is cuddle them :o) Ugh we hate the bulb syringe at our house, too. I would say keep going with it. When Nathan was 6 wks old he got an ear infection that was accompanied by an awful cold. I'd pull boogers the size of MY thumb with that thing...gross, I know. Nathan wasn't a fan either. It really comes in handy but they HATE it! Oh, and we invested in the $20 electric one...yeah, it doesn't do squat. We try it all the time. Don't waste your money! :o) It just doesn't have as much suction as the manual one does.

    ReplyDelete