Monday, October 25, 2010

old fashioned

Today I start Project Baby Room.

So far I'm just going to head out and see what there is available. And of course, since we're not rich and famous yet, it will not be extravagant or expensive. In fact, part of the deal is for me to price out everything I want to do and then discuss it with Scott. I have no problems with that. I'm just glad I get to do something with this room. :-)

trust me. I will not follow the current, and in my mind ridiculous, trend of completely decking out the babies room with matching everything complete with the baby's name hanging on the wall 2 months before it's born. Call me crazy but I think it's stupid. Why waste your money? The baby will have no idea what their room looks like, nor will they care. I think it's definitely more for the parents to show off to their friends. I guarantee the baby will not notice or care, ever. Because when he's 5, guess what? He'll car about cars and trucks, baseball and ice cream.

Anyway, off my soapbox, I am excited because I will be painting a wall (accent wall), framing acrylic lettering already on the wall, and adding some sports inspired pictures, frames and other wall art. I want the room to be comfortable and warm, but not scream BABY BOY!!!! And I will NOT, I repeat, will NOT be hanging my baby's name somewhere on the wall before he's born.

How does anyone know he'll look like his name?

Though, we do have a good idea of what he will likely be called. But I'm not telling. Nor am I committing until I see his precious face. :-)

I like being a little old fashioned. ;-)

P.S. I do think decked out nursery rooms are cute and fun, and I will not think less of you as a person if you choose to do that. Nor will I think less of you for hanging his name on the wall. I just won't follow suite.

2 comments:

  1. haha oh good, so you won't take offense to my project that's in the works! We honestly only came up with one boy name and one girl name, because both our parents lost a baby that we wanted to name our first one (both of their first grandbabies!) after. Mitch's mom lost a girl, my mom lost a boy, so Larson family name it is! (I'm hoping the next one is a girl so someone doesn't use the sweet little girl name my mother-in-law came up with!)

    I can't wait to see what you decide for everything! I couldn't find bedding I liked (for under like a zillion bucks...stupid small town!), so I ended up picking out fabric that would last him several years, just fun and boyish, and made it. The quilt will fit a twin-size bed, and the bedskirt will too (wasn't going to do one, but then we realized how much we need to store stuff in the space under the crib!!)

    Haha sorry to write a novel on your blog; the baby room is just my entire life right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see your point. I'm very old-fashioned myself. However, I think I NEEDED to see those names on the wall prior to the birth. It really helped me feel the reality of what was about to happen.

    I will never forget the moment I finished painting "Abigail" on the wall above Abbey's crib, probably three months before she was due. I stood back to admire my work and all of a sudden, I got this overwhelming feeling of "Oh my gosh! I'm going to have a DAUGHTER and her name is going to be Abigail!" Then I cried.

    I was a little more reluctant to paint Madison's name on her wall, because of Brian. He wasn't crazy about the name, but I loved it and wanted it carved in stone! I knew once it was painted on the wall, there was no way I was going to let anyone change it, and he knew that too. That would be a lot of work! So I sat him down one day and asked him one last time if he could come up with something better than Madison. He kept saying "Kate" but I just couldn't bring myself to name her "Kate McKay". It was just too rhyme-y. So I painted Madison instead. Looking back, I wish we'd named her Madison Kate. How cute is that? He says if we ever have another little girl, her name will be Kate. Fair enough.

    Also, I would just like to say that painting over a name isn't as bad as redoing an entire nursery. Um, yeah. We've been there too! We were told we were having a boy and we were not excited about that. We were bot SURE it was going to be a girl! We decorated the nursery to get ourselves pumped up about having a boy. It worked. We bonded with "William", only to be told there was no William. Talk about a roller coaster ride! Now that, we do regret! Never decorate a nursery until after the second or third ultrasound! Or until you have seen the parts and recognized them for yourself.

    ReplyDelete