Monday, March 29, 2010

Chocolate, bitter style.

Today was quite possibly the best day of my entire teaching career.

We have been studying the 5 senses this past month and today was taste day. LaurAnn and I collaborated to buy food and do this activity on the same day.

First we started with potato chips. I didn't let the kids try it until I counted to 3 and we tasted together. Next was sour patch kids. Then pickles. Then gummy bears. Last, but not least, chocolate.

I asked all the kids who wanted to taste chocolate. I got an overwhelming "ME!!!" response. The kids were all too excited and were trying to get the biggest piece or more than one. I had them smell the chocolate, hold it, and look at it. Then I counted to 3.

Their faces were priceless.

At first, joy, excitement, anticipation.

1 second later....

gagging, sputtering, choking, BLECK!!!

And uproar.

They looked at me helplessly like they would be forced to choke the chocolate down. I graciously offered them to spit it out.

The sigh of relief and rush to the trash was awesome. They then proceeded to take drink after drink of water to clear their mouth of foul bitterness.

LaurAnn's class heard the uproar and rushed into my room. All heck broke loose. Of course, I egged it on by offering the plate of chocolate to anyone who would take.

"No!!!! We don't want anymore chocolate!" "No! It's sooo gross!" "No, don't make us eat more chocolate!!!!"

It was quite possibly the best day I've ever had. Only one thing made it better...

"I'm gonna have to be careful about what kind of chocolate I eat now. Maybe I better stick to white chocolate..."

Well said my beloved 6 year old, well said.

Who knew chocolate could be so disgusting? ;-)

p.s. I did give them each a gummy bear after all the excitement

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, that made me laugh. that is awesome. who knew 6 year olds could be so wise? haha. that is definitely a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! That is hilarious! With Easter coming up there are going to be some lucky parents who get all their kindergartener's CHOCOLATE!! :o) (except the white chocolate, of course!) What a great lesson idea!

    ReplyDelete