Saturday, July 24, 2010

disappointment.

Disclaimer: I apologize if this comes off rude, harsh, hurtful, resentful, mean, etc.

I have never felt so disappointed in my life.

I had a baby shower tonight. Shayla, Emily and Kim spent time and effort putting everything together and did a great job with food, decorations, etc. Thank you. I appreciate it alot.

What I don't appreciate?

...4 of my friends came.

That's right, 4.

The invite list was about 90 people. 13 showed up. 4 were friends, 1 was a friend of a friend, 8 were family. 3 of those family were those who planned and set up everything.

Not one single person from Ballroom came.
Not one single person from my current ward came.

Seriously people? I am, no WE are, sick and tired of being such good friends to everyone and getting nothing in return. How many baby and bridal showers have I been to? How many people have we had over for dinner, games, dessert, date night, whatever? How many dinners have we taken to families with newborn kid? I love serving people, really. I just like to know people care about me too every once in awhile. . It makes me sick to think of all the friends I have here and that only 4 of them made an effort to come to my baby shower. 1st baby. We're moving across the freakin country in 3 weeks. Really?

Granted, it wasn't the best weekend. Some other factors came into play. I understand that it was a "holiday" weekend, people were out of town, people had weddings, fussy babies, it was a friday night etc. And I also understand it wasn't well advertised, facebook and email are not the best invitation tools, but it's not like we had a ton of money to spend mailing invites. And most of my friends are computer saavy enough I would think they check email and facebook.

It just makes me sick. And disappointed.

It's true that family really does come through in the end. And boy am I grateful for that! Thank you to Shayla, Emily and Kim for planning it. Sierra for coming even though you had a friend in town. Patti, Linly, Afton and Kat, also Aunt Kim for coming. Thank you Brittany, Krystal and Shadow. I really appreciate you coming. It means so much to me. Here's to praying that St. Louis will be better...in many ways.

now maybe I can sleep.

5 comments:

  1. i didn't know you were having a shower. i could have made kat send something for me. i'm glad she went even though she's moving tomorrow. how sad! well you may as well post your new address so every guilty person can now mail you a gift. now the'll have to pay for shipping b/c you're MOVING!

    but if it makes you feel better, i once had a spa party and not ONE person came. not even my mom. not even my grandma. not even cousins or BFFs or co-workers.

    that's when i knew i shouldn't have parties or try to be a sales person. steven laughed at me. we all know nobody wants to go to those "tuperware" parties.

    but a baby shower. you're right for being sad. just know that you are still loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart! My jaw dropped when I read how many people were invited and how many showed. That is unbelievable! It might have something to do with how far along you are, but since you are moving away, that shouldn't have mattered. In fact, that should have been MORE of a reason for them to come, because it was also like a going-away party! You have every right to be disappointed. I am so sorry this happened to you! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! I wanted to come so bad when I saw the invite over facebook, but at the same time, i'm stuck in Idaho, and not in Utah with the rest of you fun people! :o) My mom said she talked to someone (can't remember who) about having you visit KC when you get closer to your due date--and after you get settled in St. Louis, etc. and throwing you a shower! Good ol' OP1 won't let you down :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you had a rough night. You know I would have been there if at all possible. I felt so bad when I realized what day your shower was on. I know it doesn't help, but that happen to me too. I had 4 people at my friend bridal shower. 4! 2 of them planned it and 1 was me. It sucks. Know that you both are loved and will be VERY missed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry there was such a poor turnout. I thought about it on my way home, and 2 things stuck out in my mind- one, we chose a bad night, which I feel bad about because I am the one who chose that night. I guess a lot of people really did go out of town or something. Two- we should have mailed the invites, or hand-delivered them. I think a lot of people may have forgotten, since they didn't have a reminder sitting on their fridge. I wish we could re-do it. Just know that there is one person who is REALLY excited for you to have a baby, and who is REALLY sad you guys are moving (that person is me!).

    ReplyDelete