Thursday, July 8, 2010

apartment troubles... :-(

Yesterday was so unbelievably frustrating and stressful!!!

In the morning I was thinking about baby showers and thinking about moving and hoping that I would make friends in St Louis so someone would throw me a baby shower out there. Then I got pretty bummed thinking about missing all my friends and family out here and how hard the move is going to be. Not too mention I felt like I might not have the support I need for this first baby. I know I'd get TONS of support here, but I don't know anyone out there! (except Kathryn and Gloria) So I was feeling pretty crummy.

About 20 minutes later, my dear sweet hubby informed me that the apartment complex we had in St Louis had called and denied our proof of income. They said the loan we were awarded from Logan was not sufficient to qualify us for that apartment. Oh boy. So, I started looking at other apartment complexes to see if there was anything I missed. I called one of them, and ironically it's the sister complex to the one that denied us. The guy didn't know about the proof of income thing and said he'd do some research. Way nicer to talk to!!!!

Later that day, Scott called the first place back to try and reach an understanding. After about ten or fifteen minutes of arguing on the phone, and lots of "I'm sorry, we can't do anything"s, he got off very frustrated. In the end, after all that, they managed to tell us that the loan was only 8 months and they needed 12 months of proof so they wouldn't accept it.

So I called the other place back to ask for a quote and he told me he had talked to some people and found out he had been doing things wrong for awhile. He said it was a matter of Fair Housing and every single person had to show 12 months proof of income that was 2 1/2 times greater than rent. He said it was a government thing and we'd either have to get more loan to cover for 12 months, or get a co-signer. He was very calm and explained it all very easily. He sent a quote that I'll be looking over today.

If we decide to go with them, which is very likely, then it'll cost about $15 more a month for a little more square feet and hopefully nicer area. I figured if the first place was going to be so difficult with this when we hadn't even moved in, what will they be like when we do move in?? The new place would add about 5 minutes to the drive to school, but it'd be in a great area with a great ward. Also, I don't think we would have to re-apply and do all the paperwork again since it's owned by the same management company. We're crossing our fingers!

Looks like we will have to get a co-signer, which is not something we were planning on doing, but if it's the only way, oh well. I'm not sure why Logan only gives out 8 month loans and not 12? Anyway, that was the huge stress of the day.

Oh, and remember on the last day of school when I thought I broke my toe? Yeah, I never went to the Doc, but it never healed. I'm pretty sure I did fracture it. Then yesterday I slipped on our front steps and I think I re-fractured it again. It was very very painful and got swollen and has been sore all day. What a great way to start off a great day! At least it's over and we're moving on to the next... :-)

2 comments:

  1. You poor thing! I'm so sorry! I'm sure someone in KC would love to throw you a baby shower! They're great about those things :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your frustration. Seems it always comes in waves around here, Anyway, just an FYI---Cleveland hands out loans every FOUR months.Yep. Fun times. Luv U!

    ReplyDelete