Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Craftiness...PICTURES!

Here is my craftiness.

My sister in law is having a baby and I wanted to get a cute tutu for her. But, at the store they cost about $20-40. That's ridiculous! So, I got some fabric and made one myself! The first pictures are of cute little headbands I figured out how to make (thanks Karli and Gina!). All you need is a package of little girl tights, a needle and some thread.

1. Cut the toe off one leg. Cut at the top of the thigh.
2. You now have one strip that's like a tube.
3. Fold the tube so the two sides meet, and stitch on the edge. I pulled it tight so it scrunched.
4. Cut another small piece of fabric and wrap it around the pinch and sew on the back. Leave the front seperated from the main band so you can clip a flower on. That's it!


This white and pink one is the one I made for my sister in law Carrie. I thought it turned out sooo cute! I bought the flower at Robert's and clipped it on. My next project is to actually make the flower too.
Here is the tutu I made.
16 inches of elastic or ribbon
1 3/4 yard tulle
needle/thread
1. I laid the fabric out in 28x19 inches. I cut the strips 2 1/2 inches wide, 19 inches long.


2. I sewed a 1 inch elastic band in about 16 inch circumfrence. Then I looped and double knotted the tulle alternating colors.
3. I repeated step 2 until it was finished. I cut the bottoms of the strips in points and added 6 pieces of ribbon to add some sparkle. So cute!!!
I wish I would've had more tulle so it was more poofy and thicker. It turned out good, but I just wish it would've been fuller. Next time I'll used at least 3 yards of tulle and triple up the strips so it's thicker. Only cost about $1.50 for all the fabric. (the ribbon upped the price)
Easy and inexpensive! Let me know if you wanna come over and make some more with me!




3 comments:

  1. i've tried making those head bands before, but did it with a big pair of tights and used it so there were no seams in it. can you picture it? only good for a newborn. thanks for the tutorial! I'll have to make some more for photo props. I make the clips, but not with the jewels in the middle. tell me when you figure that out (where to but the materials).
    I've seen the tutu with just slip knots instead of double knots. May not last as long though???

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute! I've been meaning to make a little tutu for my cousin Celeste. good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute, cute, cute!! :o) I love it! I wish I could come make some with you, but I know the moment I do this kid'll turn into a boy! (Mitch is already calling it by our boy name pick...this poor kiddo! I want a girl!)

    ReplyDelete