Monday, April 5, 2010

2 recipes

Sometimes I really think I write in this too much...but I just feel like I have so much to share and offer so it's okay.

Let me just start off by saying....WAHOOO SPRING BREAK!!!! But, apparently this huge snowstorm is about to hit. Are you kidding? Can I please zap myself to Cancun? And I have some cold or something that literally started Friday after school...I hope it goes away fast! I don't wanna be sick all week.

1. Chicken Cordon Bleu
disclaimer: I found this recipe online, i can't remember where, but I altered it a little. YUM!

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
8 pieces of thin ham
4 pieces of provolone (swiss could work too)
1 beaten egg
1/4 c. flour
1 c. crushed seasoned croutons (I didn't use quite a cup, just whatever was left...maybe 1/2-2/3 cup?)

Pound the chicken out to be fairly flat. (It's best to put the chicken between plastic wrap on a cutting board.) I used a normal hammer and a cutting board. Lay 2 slices of ham and one slice of cheese on each chicken breast. Roll it up like a taco. If you have a toothpick good, if not, that's okay. Dip/roll in flour, then egg, then crushed crumbs. Lay in a greased 9x13 pan. Repeat for each chicken.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes, or until chicken is not pink.
While it is baking, make the sauce.

1/2 c. chicken broth
1 cup half and half
1/2 can of cream of chicken soup
oregano, salt and pepper

My sauce wasn't getting thick so I added cream of chicken. The flavor and creaminess was about perfect. Let it bubble and kinda simmer but not boil for a couple minutes. If it gets too hot the cream will curdle and be bad. Add the spices to taste. It should be a pretty mild sauce. Pour over chicken and TA DA! Homemade from scratch Chicken Cordon Bleu!!

I must admit I was intimidated by this recipe for some reason. I thought it would be really tough but it was super easy and really took maybe 15 minutes to make after the chicken was thawed. And everyone loved it :-)

Sorry no pictures...I forgot....and we were hungry.

2. English Muffin Pizzas

4 english muffins, opened so there's 8 halves
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
toppings (pineapple and ham are great!)
1/2 teas. oregano
1/4 teas. italian seasonings
2 shakes garlic salt/powder,
2 shakes salt and pepper,
2 shakes parsley

Combine the tomato sauce with spices until you like the flavor. I never measure when I'm making sauce, so these are pure guesses of how much I used. Sorry! Cover each muffin half with a spoonful of sauce. Add some cheese. Add some pineapple and ham. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cook at 400 for about 15 minutes or so. Dip in ranch. Yum! Fast and easy if you need to use some staple foods and english muffins.

I will post pictures of our awesome Bunny Cake later! Made the cake from a box and made homemade frosting.

I'm feeling very proficient in the kitchen these days.... :-)

Sometime this week is Jamaican Jerk Chicken day....new recipe! I'll post with pics after I make it.

1 comment: