Wednesday, October 5, 2011

On Chiropractoring

Chiropractoring.

It's a word I made up.
Last night.
Mister Man was hugging me tight and trying to "adjust" my spine at the same time.
When I say adjust, I mean squeezing and trying to pop my back.
I said "stop chiropractoring me and just hug me!" (please)
He did.

Then this morning he enlightened me with a bit of Chiropractoring knowledge.
It went something like this:

"You've been sleeping better since you had Basic last week, right?"
"...yes"
"Well, there's these pain receptors that do x, y, z, and these other pain receptors that do a, b, c, and when the x, y, z, receptors feel pain it's usually a dull ache. The a, b, c, receptors tell your brain you have a sharp pain when the dull pained area is aggravated. The x, y, z, receptors send a constant doo-whop-doo signal to the brain that tells your brain to keep you awake. So, now that your coccyx isn't hurting maybe you're able to sleep better because the dull ache is gone and the keep awake signal is not being sent" (or something like that)
"...ohhhh"


And then I thought about it.
And it made so much sense to me!

9 months ago I had a baby.
For several weeks afterward I had horrible pain in my tailbone and the surrounding ligaments.
Then it subsided a little.
Then I started exercising and moving more. And it came back. Bad.
Then I started getting it adjusted by interns and clinicians.
It never stopped hurting.
...6 months later...
Mister Man and I thought Basic would really, really help.
But it was break so I didn't have an intern and he didn't know how.
Then I got an intern.
She did Basic. Twice. (so far)
The pain has subsided and I have been sleeping so much better in the past week!

So does Chiropractoring work?
In my experience, YES!

And what is Basic, you ask?
Well, it's dealing with the sacrotuberous ligament the runs through the sacrum which is around your bum. Which means the chiropractor presses on that ligament in a way that makes the spine and ligaments align and work correctly somehow.
I really don't know much about it, other than it seems to work.
This article is pretty good if you're curious.

Anyway, there could be several variables that are allowing me to sleep better now, but in any case, I like my hubby's explanation and I love the fact that I'm sleeping!

p.s. A good friend brought me an herb called Chamomilla, and it also makes a huge difference! Doesn't necessarily help me sleep, but it helps soothe my brain during the day so I don't get so anxious about things. Wahoo!

1 comment:

  1. You getting a good night's sleep is so critical for your baby and hubby! YEAH for sleep1

    ReplyDelete