Monday, October 17, 2011

My 10 minutes of fame

I'm famous.

Well, in the Mormon realm of the world.

and by famous, I don't really mean famous.

Do you remember this amazing woman? Who gave this amazing talk at General Conference?

 Elaine S. Dalton
General President of Young Women

She's pretty spectacular.

Some people know, some people don't, but I was recently called to serve as the 1st counselor in our Young Women's presidency in our ward. That's a huge calling!

So I had an amazing opportunity to attend a training meeting for all the Young Women leaders in the area on Saturday. Sister Dalton was there directing the training. During the meeting she did an object lesson of sorts, using people as visual aids. She made a comment about how many of the YW leaders these days look young enough to be the girls, and then how she needed someone who looked young to come up and act as a young women.

We had happened to get there early so we were in the 2nd row.
And I'm young. Really young.
And I look young.

She looked straight at me and had me come up.

She put her arm around me and talked about how I was the young women and how I needed a strong support group. So she had other audience members call out people who could be a support: mom/dad, yw leaders, young men leaders, home teachers, bishop, sunday school teachers, seminary teachers, grandma/grandpa, etc. They all came up and formed a circle around me. Then Sister Dalton came into the circle, took me by the arm and led me out. She commented on how easy it was to pull me away from that group, and how even though a young woman can be surrounded by all these people, one big temptation can come in and take her away.

So she had the people link arms around me and then she tried to get in. She said when they were all working together and trying hard to help support and protect this young women, it was much harder for temptation to get in. Then she had everyone go down and she put her arm around me again and talked and I have no idea what she said. Until she asked me how I felt in the circle. Then she said "and I know you're one of the strong one's because you have that sparkle in your eye." And she side hugged me and said thank you.

Uh, pretty dang cool!

I've never met a General Authority of our church before, not too mention have ever been that close in proximity to one. It was a pretty neat experience! Something I will definitely never forget.

It was a really spectacular meeting and I learned alot about myself, about the Young Women organization, and about my responsibilities as a leader. I am so grateful I was able to attend!

7 comments:

  1. How fun. Just a couple of weeks ago I got to sit on the piano bench on stage with Hilary Weeks at a Time Out For Women convention. Fun stories. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of those choice experiences that helps strengthen your testimony and commitment. I've never had anyone side hug me, but I have looked into the eyes of Elder Uchtdorf, Sister Janice Kapp Perry, and Sister Bonnie Parkin (former General Pres of RS) and I will never forget the spirit I felt. Congratulations on your calling. I work with the Mia Maids in my ward as an adviser along with the 1st counselor. I'm loving it more all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is so cool! I was called as the Mia Maids Advisor in our ward in Orderville, before we moved to Aspen Grove. That was when I was pregnant with James, so I didn't have any kids yet and I remember feeling like it was only just a few years since I was one of the girls myself. I wondered what I could possibly teach them, and I realized that that calling was so much more for me than it was for them! I needed their strengh to get through what I had to go through at that time. Young Womens is one of my favorite places to serve in the church and I hope I can have that calling again some day. How cool to have Sister Dalton speak directly to you like that! I had a similar experience in the MTC, and it is one of those things that you just never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so neat! I am jealous you are in young womens, must be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't she great!? I got the opportunity to meet her too, when I lived in Taiwan. (http://meg-yancey.blogspot.com/2010/08/special-meeting.html)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool!! And congrats on that calling! it is a big one, but you'll do WONDERFULLY I'm sure!! Sister Dalton gave our devotional on Tuesday and also had a meeting in our parents' stake that weekend! She's been one busy, traveling woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Karissa! You ARE one of the strong ones!!! I'm happy and proud that one of our leaders noticed your sparkle, too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete