Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thoughts on Christ(mas)

This Christmas season has been different for me. In a very spiritual way.

I think it has everything to do with being pregnant. With a boy. With our first son.

This year I feel kind of a connection with Mary. I feel like I can sympathize more with her and her experience in a way. I could not imagine riding a donkey through crowded streets 9 months pregnant searching for a place to stay. It's hard to sit in a cushioned seat in the car for longer than an hour, I can't imagine what a wobbly, hard, and unstable donkey's back would be like. Miserable.

And then the stable. I've been so concerned with making sure we have everything set and ready in the baby's room: crib, sheets, clothing, boppy pillow, soft blankets, diapers, wipes, a bouncy chair, a rocking chair, a diaper trash can, a car seat, storage bins, etc. All Mary had when she gave birth was the stable and a manger. She laid her baby, her first ever son, her child, her sweet, brand new babe in a manger. With hay. Around animals. That doesn't seem very sanitary to me. (I don't want to even think about where or how she actually gave birth) Then she simply wrapped him in swaddling clothes, or a cloth. No diapers. No wipes. No changing table. No soft crib. Just a simple babe in a manger of hay.

Humbling.

I've also reflected alot on how Heavenly Mother must've felt when Christ offered to come to earth and take on our sins. I am already so protective of my child. I would not want him to have to go somewhere and suffer intolerable pain and anguish. It would break my heart. And yet, she let Him. And so did Heavenly Father.

Humbling.

I believe that not only did Christ give us the ultimate gift with the Atonement, but Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother also gave us a priceless gift by allowing their Son to suffer and to sacrifice for man.

I am so grateful for those precious gifts in my life. And I am so grateful for the precious gift I have been given to carry this child and soon have him bless our home. I am also grateful that I have had this opportunity to be pregnant during this wonderful holiday season. It has really opened my eyes and made me really reflect and ponder the true meaning of Christmas.

5 comments:

  1. Karissa, this was totally eye-opening for me! I guess I had Nathan just far enough away from Christmas to not really think about these things! Thank you so much for helping me realize all this! I love your blog, and all the things you teach me that my sleep-deprived brain couldn't have possibly come up with :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, your earrings are beautiful! I think you have a talent and probably a potential business. You could totally sell your Jewelry off your blog or a new tab off your blog! Also thank you for the Christmas spirit. It was very touching and I agree whole heartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same feelings that you have had with my first 2 babies, since they were both January babies. It really makes you think about the Christmas story in a whole different way. Baby James was born on January 3, almost a week after Christmas. I was super uncomfortable at Christmastime, and I totally thought about how awful it must have felt for Mary to travel over 100 miles on a donkey. Given the whole story of baby James, it made me think more about the atonement, too... the first-born, and all... but that's another story :)

    LOVE the earrings! And I agree that you should open an etsy store. I'm glad you found a cool creative outlet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was 7 months along with Hilary when we drove to Spokane for Christmas. Chelsey was born December 1 and again we drove to Spokane. As we traveled I was flooded with emotions that you so beautifully expressed. Now as a grandma, I wonder what Mary's mother felt as she watched her daughter ride away on that donkey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post! My mind was in a similar place two years ago, with Madison due just two weeks after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete