Saturday, December 11, 2010

date night, inception, etc

**If you haven't seen Inception, you may not want to read paragraph 5. Not too much of a spoiler, but a little. Just sayin...

This baby keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger!

I feel like my tummy is suddenly getting huge!! (...and I thought I was big before...psh, I have a horribly distorted view of myself) We're at 36 weeks today and have an ultrasound this Thursday. A delivery in about 2 weeks would be just about perfect!! Keep prayin :-)

In other news, I made the most delicious meal last night. A friend of mine gave me a recipe for sweet n sour chicken, and I have been wanting delicious "fake chinese" take out, so I made it. I was not disappointed!!! I'll post the recipe at the end. It was very yummy.

And my dear, sweet, husband went to get a movie while I was cooking. He decided to just buy Inception since we've heard such good things and didn't see it in the theaters. Plus, buying a movie new is now cheaper than a movie theater date on a Friday night. He also came back with some movie treats. And, I don't know what's going on, but he is spectacular at reading my mind these days!!! I had seriously been craving hot tamales in the car a few hours earlier but never mentioned a thing about them to him. And guess what he came home with for me? A box of hot freakin tamales!!! I was pretty dang excited! What an awesome hubby. :-)

And I pretty much ate more than half the box because the movie was so intense and chewing seemed like a good way to combat that intensity. We really enjoyed it though! As for the controversial ending, I believe he woke up and was in reality. :-) And I will also not watch that movie before going to bed. I had some crazy weird dreams...not bad, just weird.

Anyways, I'll post the recipe below and next week I'll have a 37 week bump picture to share. Yikes! I cannot believe it is so dang close!! Wahoo! I can't wait to have a sweet little baby AND get my body back!!

Sweet n Sour Chicken
4-6 chicken breasts
one egg
flour
oil to cover bottom of skillet

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut chicken in small chunks. Dredge in egg then flour. Brown in skillet. Dump into a baking dish.

3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. vinegar
4 TBL ketchup
1 TBL soy sauce
1/2 teas. garlic powder

Whisk and pour over chicken. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to re-coat chicken. Serve with rice and sauteed bell pepper, onion and pineapple chunks.

**My adaptations
I used 1 1/2 chicken breasts and the same amount of sauce. If I did 4-6 chickens, I would double the sauce for sure!!! I also had no soy sauce, so I used teriyaki sauce and added some salt. I also only had red wine vinegar. I also did not measure the garlic powder. I also added a few shakes of Cayenne Pepper (my fave). I also cut the bell pepper and onion into short but thick chunks (like at Panda). I also dipped the chicken in the egg and then shook it in flour in a plastic bag. I also dumped the chicken and the sauce into a skillet with the veggies as soon as it came out of the oven.

Next time I will use less sugar. It was very very sweet and I like a little more tang. I will also use soy sauce. I will also saute the bell pepper first for a couple minutes, then add the onion and pineapple chunks. The onions got soft much quicker than the pepper.

Overall? Delicious!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! My husband loves chinese, but it's hard to find GOOD chinese in a small town like Rexburg, so lotsa times we have to settle for mediocre chinese...yuck! This is perfect! Keep the "fake chinese" recipes you find coming!

    Yay, 37 weeks!! I hope you get your baby two weeks early. Those last few days & weeks are just murder!

    I remember seeing myself in pics on our beach vacation when I was 6 1/2 months pregnant. I felt like a WHALE in my maternity swimsuit. Not good at all...but compared to how I looked at the end, I was tiny!! I can't believe I even complained! Isn't it crazy how that works!? I can't wait to see a 37 week picture of you-i'm sure you're adorable!

    Yay, inception! And yay Hot Tamales! We saw it for the first time this week too! I didn't watch it all b/c Nathan was being a pill, but Mitch said it was really good! Enjoy those last few date nights together: I don't know when i'll get to sit through a whole movie w/out a kiddo interrupting again!!

    ReplyDelete