Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mint Kiss Cookies and Earrings

I finally feel like I have found a niche and found a hobby. And I feel like I'm kind of good at it too. Which is a bonus. But most of all, I feel more fulfilled. Like when people ask "What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?" I can give a good answer! "I love making jewelry!" I've never felt like I had a good answer to that question...I like to dance, I like to cook, I like to...uh... Yeah. But now I feel more legitimate .

Anyway, here are the most recent earrings I've created. I must say, I thought the black/white/pink earrings were awesome, but I am absolutely in LOVE with these green/black/pearl beauties!

These are nice too. I whipped em out in about 15 minutes. I plan on giving them to one of the gals I visit teach.
And I will plug in there that I have not attended a jewelry making class. I have not searched online how to make jewelry. I have not read any books. I have only had the help of Angie (sis-in-law) once with my first bracelet, and Shayla (sis) over Thanksgiving who reminded me of things I had forgotten and showed me a couple new things (and who also helped me buy everything I needed to start). Also, I must give Angie double credit because she gave me a pair of earrings that I investigated thoroughly for inspiration for the b/w/p earrings.

Other than that, this is all me. And it feels great!

Now for a little recipe...
Magical Mint Kiss Cookies

1 c. butter
2/3 c. sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 c. flour
1/4 c. cocoa
48 Candy Cane kisses
powdered sugar

Beat butter, sugar and vanilla til creamy. Mix flour and cocoa in separate bowl. Gradually add to butter mixture. Beat til creamy. Mold scant tablespoon dough around kiss and shape into ball. Bake at 350 degrees on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes (7.5 is perfect for me). Let cool on the pan 1-2 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack. Cool for about 10 minutes then roll in powdered sugar. Yum!!

*real recipe says to cool completely before rolling in the powdered sugar...I disagree. I like it to melt just slightly into the cookie.

I think these are my favorite Christmas treat!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Karissa! I haven't read your blog for at least three months! Somehow when you went private it dropped off of my blog list and I have forgotten to check it! I feel bad! I've just spent an hour going back and catching up. It's nice to read up on how you're doing. I'm so excited for you to have your baby! You'll be such a great mom!
    I also have to say I'm so excited that you have found that you love making jewelry so much! I really enjoy it too and I wish I could spend more time doing it. The pieces you have made are really great!
    Oh, and I've been looking for a cookie recipe for an upcoming event and this is the one I'm going to use! It sounds so yummy!
    -Angie
    p.s. And I will be checking back more frequently now! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look super yummy! I've been in a minty mood too. Tonight at the grocery store, I bought peppermint crunch Junior Mints, Andes mint cookies, and five boxes of candy canes! Brian asked if I was pregnant. Ha! I'm going to make these cookies this week! The Andes cookies were $4 for twelve cookies. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete