Monday, April 2, 2012

What is "s-t-r-e-s-s-e-d" for you?

I have a confession to make.

Actually, it's not really a confession, mostly that's just a really cool, attention-grabbing word.

My non-confession confession: 
When I get really stressed out, I turn to desserts. Namely, chocolate.


D-e-s-s-e-r-t-s is s-t-r-e-s-s-e-d backwards, so it's okay, right?

My weekend started off marvelously. I learned a valuable lesson too.
For months, actually over a year, I have told my sweet Mr. Man that I absolutely cannot run outside because:
a. I don't want to run alone.
b. It's too cold or too hot.
c. There are too many hills in our 'hood and I don't like hills

On Saturday morning something changed. Maybe it was the fact that our 12 week old puppy barked her brains out at 6:00 am sharp until we got up. Maybe it was the fact that I couldn't fall back asleep. Maybe it was the fact that I knew I was making cinnamon rolls the next day so I should at least have a walk. Whatever it was, I  got out of bed, put on my shoes and headed out the door.

No, it was not easy.
I promised myself I would run (and by run I mean walk/jog) for at least 30 minutes before coming home. I started out and it felt good.
Then it hurt.
Then I came to a hill.
Luckily at the same time as the hill popped up in front of me, LMFAO popped on in my headphones.
Somehow, I miraculously made it all the way up the hill. Jogging. Without stopping.
About halfway up, I saw the sun peaking through the trees: rays of hope urging me forward.
I was overwhelmed with emotion.
I almost cried.
Then I reached the top.
I had accomplished something. Something very difficult. Something I thought was impossible.
I finished my run jubilantly with an incredulous amount of self-satisfaction.
There are no adequate words to describe my feelings.
Other than the thought that popped in my mind: "If this is how I feel reaching the top of that hill, I wonder what it feels like to see the finish line of a half-marathon. I have to do it."


The lesson I learned: running outside, in the morning, as the sun is coming up, is ridiculously invigorating, and SO much better than a treadmill!

Then I made cinnamon rolls the next day. Buttery, sugary, drenched in icing, cinnamon rolls.
I also finished off those blasted cadbury eggs, a bag of robin eggs, ate some trail mix with m&m's, some peanut butter cookies, and opened a bag of crunch eggs.
I had a stressful day over the weekend. So I turned to chocolate.
My great demise.
My huge flaw. Aside from that I'm perfect, didn't you know? *winky wink*

And now that it's Monday, I'm in a sugar coma, and I feel slightly discouraged, plus still stressed, and I'm wondering: what is a better way to de-stress my stress without turning to chocolate?


Help me out: how do you de-stress your stress without turning to food?
Please share.
Otherwise I may need therapy and a personal trainer someday...

For now, I will just have to consider whether buying a kitchen table will help de-stress me or not.
Peace, love, and Go Jayhawks!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I like to de-stress with a mindless show like 30Rock (all the past seasons are on Netflix, fyi...). My husband thinks it's the dumbest show ever, and it is, but it also gives me a chance to shut off my brain for awhile. I'll watch 2-3 episodes then try whatever I need to be doing (like work for finals week...yup, it's here, dangit) again. Plus I usually have chocolate in my hand. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take a hot bath, read a book, and nap when I'm stressed. I also turn to food. :0) Or if I want to destress with my hubby we cuddle and/or go on a date/dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know exactly what you mean by how you described getting to the top of that hill running -- i really think that running is the biggest self-esteem boost ever. when i just make myself DO it, i feel like i've accomplished something so big and great when i'm done.

    when i'm stressed the only thing that really helps is to be able to shed all responsibility for a little bit. unfortunately, that's not always easy when you have little ones depending on you for EVERYTHING.

    as it is, i totally wish i would have gone running saturday morning because i consumed more orange rolls yesterday than i care to admit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a good book...shop if I have $$...or.......exercise...it's one of the best stress reliefs for me!!! I also enjoy a good funny show, like friends...or a show with lots of entertaining drama, like Mob Wives!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey -- that comment from "emily curfew" is really me! (she's my sister) sorry, i was signed in under name and didn't realize it. whoopsie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you - sugar and chocolate and pretty much anything edible is my go-to stress crutch. I am starting to recognize how much it hurts me though. The "sugar coma" afterwards leaves me feeling depressed and irritable, which leads to more sugar. It's a terrible cycle and I've gotten so sick of it. Honestly, I have to completely ban ALL sugar, especially chocolate, from the house because it's just not worth it. By trying to eat a lot of other healthy things - my daily green smoothies are a sanity saver I swear - I feel like I keep myself from getting so low. But I still get stressed and want to turn to food, so I'll pop some smartpop popcorn or eat whatever else we have. It's the straight sugar that sends me plunging into the deep abyss...
    I also agree with the first comment about doing something mindless. When I get stressed I hit the computer and browse Pinterest, or if it's really bad I get the kids down for naps and plop myself down on the couch to watch a chick flick. You know if I'm watching the 6 hour Pride & Prejudice you had better just back off... ;o)

    ReplyDelete