Monday, April 16, 2012

Thoughts on "Heaven is Here"

So I read Nie Nie's book this weekend.

When I heard it was coming out I was really reluctant to want to read it. Why? I have no idea. I really can't pin it on anything. Whatever it was, I'm glad I overcame it and borrowed the book.

I'm not sure I would say her book was life-changing for me, but it struck a chord with my soul and shifted my perspective on life.

Since I'm not very skilled at being concise, especially without a list, here's a list, that may not be concise, of things I particularly enjoyed:

-Her love and zeal for motherhood and wifehood.  What a great example of how to cherish your children and relish in even the mundane, everyday, tasks of being a wife and mother!

-Her fairy tale life before the accident. It made me reflect on my own life and had me wondering if I was living it as a fairy tale. I'm sure her life was not perfect, and full of challenges, but through her writing I could feel that she truly loved life and was living her fairy tale dream with her Prince Charming. I realized that I, too, am living my fairy tale dream with my Prince Charming, but that I need to recognize and appreciate it more every day.

-Her deep, resonating, love for her husband, children, family and the Gospel.
-Her exemplary example of service, compassion, love, and recognizing what true inner beauty is.

But most of all, my favorite thing about her book was:

-Her profound message of faith and hope, even during the darkest, most difficult times of life. Two of my favorite quotes from the book were:

"I had to be willing to fail and try again. And keep trying and failing until I got strong enough to succeed.
(Nie)

"I testify that bad days will come to an end, that faith always triumphs, and that heavenly promises are always kept."
(Elder Holland)

Reading her book gave me a renewed sense of hope, faith, motivation, and inspiration to keep truckin' along during this difficult time in my own life.

This too shall pass.


The challenge, and blessing, is finding the beauty along the way.



2 comments:

  1. i really enjoyed this book, too. it really made me re-examine the way i think about my life and the way i live it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved this woman since I first heard of their plane crash a few years ago. Her perspective is dead-on. I, personally, have had some rough and ugly times, but reading from her ALWAYS helps me. I am so glad she has written a book to share with the world, and I hope the world reads it. I am glad you got something important from it. :)

    ReplyDelete