Saturday, May 29, 2010

The End

Yesterday was one of the saddest, most heart-breaking days of the year.

I seriously thought I was totally ready to be done with school, done with the worries, done with the tiredness, done with the crazy kids, done with the consumingness of it all, done with having so much to do all the time, done with that part of my life and ready to move on.

Boy was I seriously wrong.

The morning went extremely fast. The kids were all hyped up on sugar or something, or maybe just summer excitement. Suddenly before I knew it it was 10:15. I let them go.

"can you please come to my house and see my puppy?"
"can you please call me and come to my birthday?"
"can you come over to my house?"
"can you come swimming at my pool?"
"i love you!"
"i'll miss you!"

Then the buses were full and the front yard was full of teachers standing and watching. A chorus of honking, screaming, laughing, waving and "bye!!!" was heard.

I had no idea how hard it would be to watch those buses drive away honking as our precious students hung out the window and waved. It suddenly occurred to me that they weren't coming back. That I wasn't coming back. Tears. Lots and lots of tears.

It occurred to me that those 20 children who I have spent countless hours with for the past 5 months were leaving me and I would probably never see them again. My heart broke.

I don't know what their future holds, I don't know what impact I had on their life, I only know how significantly they changed me.

What an incredible life changing year it has been. I will miss those kids more than they have any idea. Especially the ones I had the hardest time with.

4 comments:

  1. Awww sweetheart! This is how you know you were meant for that major and career path!! :o) You are so talented and will be such a blessing to so many children, not to mention your own little babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone remembers their kindergarten teacher! That is the grade you teach right? They left at 10:15? Was it a half-day class or was your last day just cut short? It's been 25 years and I still remember my kindergarten teacher very well! Mrs. Bentley. I loved her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh sad and awesome at the same time!! so exciting that you have had such a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how they all wanted you to come over to their houses, so sweet! I almost started crying reading your post- kids that age are so sweet (most of the time). Do you think you will be teaching for a little while in St Louis?

    ReplyDelete