Friday, August 20, 2010

welcome back to the midwest

Well, welcome back to the Midwest.

This afternoon we experienced our first thunderstorm since moving here. It really wasn't anything huge. Some lightning, dark skies, a little thunder and some rain. The trees in our forest backyard were really moving though!

After Scott made a delicious dinner of baked potatoes and fresh salad, we drove up to see his campus. I think it's gorgeous. He's pretty quiet about stuff like that. He likes it though. So that's exciting. We stopped at Target and Kohl's on the way home to look for flip-flops. The sky was getting darker and seriously 80% humidity. Kinda that weird, eerie, still feeling of moisture that it's either gonna storm hardcore or dump rain.

Well, we got home and low and behold, on our kitchen bar there was this HUGE spider! Now. Let me tell you something. I thought Utah spiders were huge...this one was at least 3 times as big. We're talking like 2+ inch leg span with a large body. I freaked a little and Scott validated me for doing so. (after he killed it and it dropped in my purse next to my phone. good thing it was dead.) So gross. I have no idea how it got in or where it came from, but I still have some heebie jeebies and I'm hoping one doesn't crawl in bed with us...

So after the spider incident we turn on the TV to relax a little. About 20 minutes later, Tornado Warning. For us. Then I hear sirens. Keep in mind we are on the 2nd floor of an apartment with no basement.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't praying hard. I was pretty nervous. I know what to do with a basement. But without one? On the 2nd floor? (I called Kathryn :-)) But they lifted it about 10 minutes later because the storm that was heading SE and straight for us suddenly shifted NE and will miss us completely. So now we're waiting to see if another storm that is SW is moving NE or SE.

Welcome back to the Midwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment