Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Logan tour and downtown

Yesterday we decided to take a tour of the Logan campus. It was so much fun!! It was really neat to see all the different classrooms, labs and amenities the school has to offer. Plus it's gorgeous. And very sports oriented. They have a sweet student center that has a huge TV, couches, a cafe, foosball, pool table, pin-pong and some other stuff. They also have a really awesome Sports Facility. They have athletic fields for pretty much any sport and a gym that has work out equipment and other things. We also got to see the Cadaver lab. We didn't get to see any of the bodies uncovered though...oh well.

I liked how hands-on everything seemed too. Our guide was telling us that the instructors will spend time lecturing on the area they will dissect, then do a dissection for the class to demonstrate how, then they left the students do it. As a teacher I was very impressed that they cover 3 of the learning modalities: hear, see, do. Overall it was a very exciting experience to see what Scott would be doing. Plus, he got super excited about it too!

The best part? Their health center. Students and family get to visit the center for free adjustments at any time. I will definitely be taking advantage of that! Also, the director of the Sports Rehab Masters Program is from BYU!! And one of his colleagues is the Chiropractor for the Cardinals. Pretty sweet I think! Scott will definitely have all kinds of help and exposure to find the right sports chiropractic job he wants. We're so excited!

We also went to Babies R Us yesterday and started our registry. Oh my gosh it was so overwhelming! I had no idea babies needed so much. And how many different things there are to choose from! I seriously have no idea what things to get from car seats to stroller, to crib, to bottles, to sheets, etc. It was fun but definitely overwhelming since we're still so clueless. Thus, any help or suggestions we get is great.

Today we went to the Arch downtown and also to the CityGardens. It was really cool! We just walked around the Arch and went to the little museum inside. We decided to forgo the $19 it would cost for the two of us to ride to the top. City Gardens was awesome though! We were with Dave and Kathryn and their kids so we had a ton of fun playing in the fountains. It's a section of concrete with tons of water fountain things spraying up from the ground. It was really cool and totally reminded me of the fountain park thing in Kansas City! It was also fun to drive around downtown a bit and see how cool the city is.

I'm so happy to be here! It's such a cool place with so much character and so many opportunities for so many things. It definitely helps to have friends next door too!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're doing a registry! How fun!! It makes it so real! Plus, Billie and my mom are planning a shower for you, (I don't think it was a surprise...if so, then...uhh...you can delete this comment and pretend you don't know!), and when Billie threw mine she loved that we'd registered somewhere since we weren't living there. Woo hoo! I'm so excited for you guys! Yay for babies!! :o)

    PS--TOTALLY jealous of that health center with the free adjustments!! Oh what I wouldn't give for someone to crack my back right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cracking me up that you were hoping to see cadavers. I went all the way through nursing school and never had one. We dissected cats instead, probably because I took Anatomy at a agricultural college. I was relieved, but also a tiny bit disappointed.

    I've thought about making a list of "must haves" for baby registries, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd say splurge for the B'jorn, or better yet, find one on Craig's List in like-new condition for a fraction of the cost! Point is, they're worth it. The knock-offs just don't compare.

    Every kid is different, so it's hard to say what you'll need for sure. Abbey loved her swing and hated her car seat. Madison was the opposite. The only swing she would sit in was the kind that sits really low to the ground, but Abbey sat in it and broke it before we got much use out of it.

    Find what you like in the stores, then see if you can find the same ones on Craig's List! Especially the things you aren't sure if you'll use very much, or the things that don't get worn out easily, like the Bumbo chair, doorway bouncers, bouncy chairs, etc. And hit some garage sales! We got a brand new swing at a garage sale for $40 and Abbey LIVED in that thing for the first 9 months of her life! Best $40 bucks I ever spent!

    Definitely get some of those swaddle blankets. You know, the kind with velcro that look like a little cocoon? They are at Babies R Us for around $8. Both of my girls loved those.

    Okay, I'll stop there. Maybe I'll write a post about this!

    ReplyDelete