Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years ago today

Ten years ago today.

I was 13.
It was the most beautiful day I can ever remember. Not a cloud in sight. Deep blue sky. Light breeze. Perfect temperature, about 73 or so. Birds chirping. Cars passing. 

We ate breakfast and started pulling out our books to start school.
I was home schooled, by the way.
Just as we were getting started, the phone rang. It was dad. He had left only minutes before for work. He urgently told mom to turn on the tv.
The only thing I understood from their conversation was "a plane just crashed into a building?" Seriously? Nah, that doesn't happen.

Then I saw it.
I couldn't believe my eyes. 
We gathered around, watching, breathless. My mom cried. Alot.

"Girls, you are watching History being written right now."

I remember as we were watching the tower burning, we were listening to the reporter. I think it was Tom Brokav or Brian Williams. He was relaying information, trying to figure out what was happening.

Then the second plane hit.
We were numb with shock.

Then the first tower started collapsing.
We knew it before he did. We were watching it live.

My mom was yelling at him "it's collapsing! It's falling! The tower is falling!" Because he hadn't gotten the memo yet. 
We watched all day. Hours on end. We were in a complete state of shock. 
Then all flights were grounded. And the cars outside diminished. An eerie silence set in. Only the birds and the leaves made noise. 

Ten years later, I will never forget that day. It is burned bright in my mind. I will remember those brave men and women who gave up their lives to help others. I will remember those innocent people whose lives were lost. And I will remember and pray for their families, the military, and the armed service men and women who protect our country now. We will always remember.

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?

1 comment:

  1. I was driving in my Mazda Navajo to class at BYU from Aspen Grove. I heard over the radio that a plane had just crashed into the first tower. I immediately called Jim on my cell phone (we were dating/not dating at the time) and told him he needed to get on the internet and see what was happening. That day at school, everyone was pretty solemn. I think most of my classes were either cancelled, or the teachers were playing news footage on the overhead screens so we could watch.

    I don't remember all the details about my day other than those. But I will never, ever forget how it made me feel. Sad. Scared. Upset. Worried. Devastated. And I knew that I was witnessing something that would never, ever be forgotten. Since then, I have heard many, many stories about those who survived that day, as well as many who did not and I am amazed at the selfless acts of service that occured amidst so much tragedy.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete