Wednesday, August 3, 2011

DWC: The chair dance

Wednesday is my favorite day of the summer.
Why? do you ask.
Well, I'll tell you.
But first, here's a picture:






I promise we're not a bunch of cracked out strippers.

I love Wednesday's so much because I get to spend 2 hours of my life watching my favorite show:
So You Think You Can Dance.....dance dance

I really love watching because it allows me to spend 2 hours vicariously living the glory days through someone else who is much stronger, skinnier, and more talented than me. 

P.S. I believe I'm strong, skinny-ish, and talented.
But in other areas of my life.
Like cooking, cleaning, and raising our kid.
7 years changes things.

Back to the picture.
In the good ol' days, I used to dance at DanceWorks Conservatory.
Best. Dance studio. Ever.
While I was there, I learned some things. 
Things like:
White leotards are actually kinda cool
and
Slicked hair looks good
and
How to count to 10 in French.

I also learned one of the most incredible chair dances I've ever done.
Not that I've done alot of chair dances.
It was for our performance of The Last Unicorn.
And boy was it amazing!!!
And intense.
We also used black capes in the same piece. 
I remember trying to get the cape to spin and float a certain way while I tried to leap a certain way. It was a little challenging. But I think it worked out in the end. Maybe not, but that's okay.
We jumped off our chairs, spun them around, and did knee slides.
We also raced across the floor with our chairs upside down and our butts barely off the ground.
I would try to describe it better, but I can't.
I think we were trying to be some kind of gangsta people in the town.
It might not sound that cool, but it really was.
I promise.
And I felt even cooler because it was a Jazz 5 piece.
That means it was the 2nd highest level of Jazz class offered.
Which really means you're a good dancer.
Which means the choreography was more intense.
And cool.

Right. So. This was a really awesome dance we did. With really awesome music and a really awesome choreographer. But I think a few people helped choreograph it. And since I've been pregnant and had a baby, I honestly cannot remember who it was. Dang. Can't even give credit where credit is due.
(Edit: It was Audrey! Amazing. And maybe Nicole, too?)
That's what I get for having a baby.
My brain is falling apart. Piece by piece.


Here's the picture again because I know you forgot.
We had fun with our hair and make up.
It was a good time in my life.
More DWC stories to come!
But for now, SYTYCD tonight.

p.s. I need some new words to replace awesome and cool

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure some of the students jumped in and helped with the choreo as well. And you know what I loved about that show? The black light dance!! (Well, and the chair dance, too.) And your feature dance!! (Which was amazing.) Great times. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good words: glorious, fabulous, shaylalicious, briantastic, heavenly, extraordinary, fantabulous...etc etc etc!

    And I miss DanceWorks too!

    ReplyDelete