Monday, April 11, 2011

Blog Comments Mystery

Pretty much every time my mom and I get on the topic of blogs, the same thing always comes up...

BLOG COMMENTS

And we always end up discussing these "issues" with blog comments:

1. What type of subject matter does it take for people to leave comments on a blog?
2. How do people get 100+ comments on a post...10 minutes after writing it?
3. Why don't people leave more comments on posts? Especially funny ones. 

So even though I have said a million times "I guess it doesn't really matter if I get comments because my blog is more for me as a record, and because it's fun" I really actually like comments.

Alot.

It makes me feel special.

And loved.

And like I'm funny.

Especially when I write a post that I think is quite clever, hilarious, inspiring, or all three. 

And when I open my blog to see 0 comments.
My heart breaks.
Just a little.
Okay, it doesn't really break.
That was melodramatic.
But it is exciting to see comments.

I have no idea who all reads my blog.  I only know a couple people who do. And one person in particular who always leaves me a comment. Thank you Alaina for making me feel warm and fuzzy when I open my blog page! 

Maybe someday I'll solve the Blog Comments Mystery, but maybe I won't. Maybe it helps to post the link on facebook. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe I should email all my friends every time I post. Maybe I shouldn't. Maybe I should stop writing every day. 

Maybe that would work. Maybe it would leave all my lovely readers wanting more. And then maybe I'd find out who those lovely readers are. Because maybe they would leave a comment. Maybe not.

But for now, the dishes need some love. 

11 comments:

  1. Forget dishes!!! Read your comments! :) I love reading your blog! It seems like life is going good! We miss you guys!!! Talk to you soon, hopefully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is somethings to think about-
    It's going to be all about percentages. Never are you going to produce 100 percent comment readers but I would say on the average you might get 1-3 comments on any random post. How many readers do you think you have? If you think that lets say 10 people read your blog daily only 10-30 percent leave a comment but if you have 20 readers it's more like 5-15 percent. You want more comments, find more readers.
    Comments usually beget comments-How many comments are you leaving in a day? If most of your readers are weekly bloggers (I would say that is the most average) Then you have an opportunity to leave one comment a week on lets say 20 blogs that you might follow consistently. Are you leaving a comment on all 20? I bet you are averaging more of 1-3 comments per 20. And that is WEEKLY not daily!!! So I would say you should expect that in return, but as you said you are averaging more than that, because we all have that nice friend that comments on most posts. So if you are concerned-find more readers, leave a butt load more comments-and I bet you would see an increase.

    One of my favorite things I read on a blog is that they always looked up to another blogger for never blogging about blogging. - Post silly things you want to remember or fun pictures of your family...when you look back in a couple years, it totally WON'T be about the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to everytging Cami said! Plus, I love you, I think you are funny, witty, gorgeous, and pretty darn special! I used to feel the same way about comments. Now I blog for myself. Occasionally, I have a really bad day and I need/expect comments and don't get any. Then I blame myself for not making my blog more accessible. It is set to private, making it unavailable on Google reader. I rarely check blogs that aren't on my Reader. I'm not good about leaving comments either because I read way too many blogs and I read them as fast as I can before my kids need me or I have to get to bed. Speaking of which, it is the middle of the night and instead of sleeping, I am catching up on your blog. Does that make you feel special? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny research cause I'm up because of this hungry little man, not one of the last 30 recently updated blogs on your reader had a comment from you. Check out those percentages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i probably don't commen as much as I should. But most of my curiousity is how people get so famous with their blogs. Not that I want to be, just how does it happen? And like I said, its not all about the comments, that's not my motivation to blog. It's just fun to see them. And I should edit my blog list cuz there's a bunch I dont read and several I wouldn't ever comment on. And I guess mostly it's fun to get an idea of who reads my blog most often

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um.Yes. It's always weird which posts get comments and which ones don't. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason.
    Even when I ask - what would you do? - the six people reading don't seem to have any ideas. It's very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have been stalking your blog for a few weeks now :) and i love it. so sorry i haven't commented sooner :) but now that i have, i'll probably comment more often. you're right - comments are fun! and thank you for your comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummm... I kind of check your blog daily:) But yeah, I'm bad at commenting, too. But I should be better because I'm totally the same way; I LOVE getting comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha you're welcome! Since I deferred from school this semester blogging has been my escape from babyland when I need it! I always comment way too often on everyone's blogs...and facebooks...and whatever! I miss social time while stuck in the house with a little one, not to mention stuck in a little town! All my friends are gone and have moved on or were never here to begin with! Blogging helps me feel social :o) I'm glad you don't think i'm annoying...sometimes I'm sure i'm annoying but people are just too nice to say anything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i totally know what you mean...

    my dishes need some attention too. blah.

    i love it when people update their blogs about as much as i like comments. gives me something to read and do during nap time and late at night. i LOVE that you update often : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gah, I know! Honestly, I didn't start out blogging for others to read-- just for me. But now I'm trying to gain a wider audience and it's interesting figuring out the ins and outs in how to do that haha.

    ReplyDelete