Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cafe Rio in Missouri!

There's a Cafe Rio coming to Missouri!!!

....just kidding.

But, if you're craving some delicious Sweet Pork burritos or salad, head on over to my place!
Just give me some warning first...please.

We had Cafe Rio night tonight. It was divine. It has been way too long since I've had the delightful opportunity to dine at that fantastic little place. My mom has a recipe that I used tonight. It all turned out great. So, I'm sharing the goods.

But, here's the thing: Soooo many people have Cafe Rio recipes, and they all say they taste "JUST LIKE the real thing!!!" I've only tried this one. So I don't know what the others taste like. But I know this one is stellar good. You can pick and choose whatever recipe floats your boat. Just know that two Cafe Rio recipe staple ingredients are: coke (or dr. pepper) and lots of brown sugar. If a recipe doesn't have those two ingredients, don't waste your time. It probably won't taste the same. So because I'm so nice, here ya go:

Shredded Sweet Pork:
The night before....
3 1/2-4 lb pork roast (bone in or out, lots of fat)
2 T brown sugar
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp cumin (I will definitely at least cut this in half next time, too strong for me)
1 tsp salt

Combine the spices and rub all over the pork roast. Throw in a crock pot and cook on low. All night.
In the morning, add:
1 can coke (or dr. p)
1 c. chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced

Continue cooking on low all day. An hour before serving, shred the pork and add:
1 c. brown sugar (or 2, or 3...whatever tickles your fancy. I may or may not have added around 2...)
1 can coke, or dp...if you want
some more chicken broth...if you want

Tomatillo Ranch Dressing:
3 tomatillos, quartered
1 pkg. buttermilk ranch dressing mix
1 c. mayo (miracle whip doesn't work quite the same way)
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 c. fresh cilantro, (1/2 a bunch)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalepeno, seeds removed
juice of 1 lime

Toss it all in a blender and mix well. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.

Cilantro Rice:
3 c. rice
1/2 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Make the rice and add the stuff. Or make the rice with the stuff added. However you want to do it. You could probably add a squeeze of lime in there too and get delicious results.

Serve all of these things with delicious tortillas, black beans, lettuce, pico di gallo, fresh parmesan cheese, and whatever else you want...or don't. YUM!

Did you know you could make your own buttermilk at home? Just add a tablespoon of vinegar OR lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let sit for 15 minutes or so. You can also substitute almond milk and get the same results, just dairy free. Wahoo!

He has big, pouty lips. And he's already a ladies man.
Oh dear.
:-)

2 comments:

  1. how fun! I love the buttermilk substitute. It really works! I think i've used it in every cake i've ever made that calls for buttermilk. I bought some once. It went rancid in the fridge before I could open it. I think i'll use the substitute from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. You just made me crave Cafe Rio something fierce. And your little "baby burrito" at the end of the post is adorable! And made me crave more than Cafe Rio.

    ReplyDelete