Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Twilight Visitor

Twi-light.
-noun
1.the soft, diffused light  from the sky when the sun is below the horizon, either from daybreak to sunrise or, more commonly, from sunset to nightfall.
2. Not the Edward and Bella saga.


At twilight on Monday night, we had a special visitor.


Meet Rocky.

(yes, I know that is the most dumb, overrated, stereotypical, name for a raccoon. please don't judge.)

Rocky apparently smelled the delicious stench, reek, aroma of spit-up covered baby a mile away and decided he needed to check things out.
Or maybe he was looking for food.
Or perhaps he just needed a twilight adventure.
Either way, he proceeded to pop his little nose through the slats in our deck and climb aboard.

When I saw that nose peeping through those slats, I nearly fell out of the couch.
which is hard to do because it's 4 feet deep.
literally.
(we measured.)

First there was this:
"Hun!! Get over here, NOW!"
"huh? what? Why?" 
"Because! Where's the camera!?" 
I think he thought there was a black widow crawling on our baby or something because my voice was pretty urgent.


There was alot of this:
"Oh my gosh! I've never been so close to a raccoon!"
"Whoa. Cool!"

And some of this:
"How many pictures do you need to take?" (man)


After finding the camera in the last place I left it, I proceeded to snap picture after picture while this thing scavenged our deck and examined our baby.




Rocky desperately wanted to come inside...
I think he knew we had food in here.
And a baby too.
Because they could see each other.

See that blue thing in the corner? That's the arch of the play mat my baby was playing on. About 4 inches from the door where this guy was peeking in.
(I guess it could've been a girl...)

His cute face kinda makes me wish I would've let him in. 

But those beady eyes...those aren't so cute. 

We teased him a little bit. Tapped on the glass and stuff.
Hubby tried to let him inside by opening the glass but keeping the screen shut.
I had none of that. Coons could probably rip the screen to shreds I bet.
Rocky teased us a little by acting like he was going to leave.
But then he didn't.
We thought we might have to have animal control come visit, too.

He also stared me down right in the eyes. Kinda reminds me of my parents dog, Cosmo, begging at the door to come in.
He also looks a little like a miniature bear here.
The babe didn't really like him apparently...

I decided taking a video would be a really cool thing to do. 
I think Rocky has ADHD...

After exploring human life on the deck through the glass for about 10 minutes, he finally got bored.
We offered no food, why would he stay?
He smashed his body all flat and slinked-slank-slunk through the 3 inch slats in our deck.

Now tell me, how does a creature the size of a dog slink through wood slats the size of uh...the size of... well, the size of 3 inches?

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! That's incredible! I'm so glad you took so many pictures! How crazy!! I agree--I bet he could rip right through that screen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun visitor, too bad the baby is too little to enjoy the visitor.

    ReplyDelete