Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sweet Pork Chili

Sometimes I think I should be on Master Chef. 
This usually happens after I whip something up in the kitchen sans recipe.
First I'm incredibly proud of myself, and then I realize I could never be on Master Chef. 
I know nothing about souffles, pastries, nor the wide array of strange spices and ingredients they always use.
However, when it comes to basic, good, home cookin', I usually do a good job.

My latest concoction came about after a cool, cloudy, Fall afternoon.
I was in need of a warm, spicy, soup. Chicken wouldn't cut it, we were out of Beef, and when I opened the freezer, out fell some leftover Sweet Pork.
Sweet Pork Chili it was, and this time I made sure to measure everything as I went, just in case it turned out good enough to share.
So without further ado, here is my recipe!

Sweet Pork Chili

1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 TBL. olive oil

Heat the oil in a large stock pot. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are tender. 
Add:

1 can chicken broth (2 cups) I used two when I made it and it was a little thin. If two cups is not enough, gradually add more broth, up to 4 cups total, until desired thinness is achieved.
2 cans of beans, drained and rinsed (I used black)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1, 4 oz can diced green chilies
1 c. frozen corn
1/4 c. salsa
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. dried cilantro
3-4 TBL. brown sugar
2 c. Sweet Pork (recipe here)

Combine and bring to gentle boil. Reduce heat and let simmer about 20 minutes or until beans and veggies are tender. Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips. I added the Sweet Pork just before serving so it wouldn't take on all the other flavors as deeply. However, the next afternoon as leftovers, it tasted nearly the same. So I don't think it matters too much when you add the pork. 

I haven't yet mastered the art of photographing food, but at least I included a picture!

Whenever I make Sweet Pork, it makes enough for a small army of people, of which I do not have in my home. Thus, leftovers last for days, and honestly, sometimes leftovers (even sweet pork), gets boring. So this is a perfect recipe for that last bit of meat you can't consume! Plus, I felt like I was eating a Cafe Rio burrito in soup form. Delicious!


1 comment: