Monday, October 8, 2012

Project: Glitter Heels

I have come to the realization that I am not very crafty. 
Meaning: I am not creative enough to think of cute, crafty projects on my own. 
My brain does not function in that way.
However, I am exceptional at copying!
Thus, when I see a project that looks cool, or if I think of something then Google or Youtube it for directions, I can usually accomplish something neat.
As is the case with the following project:

Remember these lovely, beautiful, perfectly colored and shaped nude pumps that I love?
Let us not forget how my dear, sweet, puppy chewed one of them and broke my heart.
I figured out a way to salvage the shoes!

Before. 
Notice the terrible bite marks?
My heart breaks a little more every time I look at this picture.

Enter:
Modge Podge (glossy!) and Glitter.
Martha Stewart (@ Michaels) in Smoky Quartz.

Mix some glitter and some glue together.

The following two pictures are out of order. 
I apologize.


Making your way around the shoe, paint some glue mixture on in sections.
Then sprinkle glitter, generously, immediately on the glue.
Tap the shoe to remove the excess. 
Repeat on a new section, making your way around.


Ta-Da!
The instructions I found said to "seal" the glitter with hairspray.
That worked for about 15 minutes.

To really seal the glitter, brush a thin, even coat of just Modge Podge all over the shoe.
I was worried the sparklyness would diminish, but it did not!
In fact, it really didn't change the look at all. Just sealed the glitter.

The unwearable shoes are now wearable!
You can't tell for a second they were chewed up, unless you look on the inside.
I'm still missing my perfect nude pumps, but I'm happy I didn't toss them!

7 comments:

  1. that's awesome! what a great idea. i'm glad you were able to salvage them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I read your blog in my GoogleReader which is why I don't comment very much. But I have been keeping up with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Those look so completely awesome! Can't wait to see them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute project and cute blog! Let's be blog friends! :)
    www.mustardmeyellow.christalbridge.com
    And let's hang out again soon k???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I TOLD YOU YOU SHOULD BEDAZZLE THEM!!!!!!!!! So cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice!! I love them!! :o) And you, my dear, can definitely pull them off :o) You are great with bold looks--I, however, am not. But I love to watch people like you sparkle!! I'm glad you didn't toss those shoes! I've seen people on Pinterest do that with just the heels, too, with black glitter for black shoes, etc. It would really work well with scuffed-up heels. I'm glad you found a more dependable way to seal the glitter. That hairspray would have led people right to you at church...they would have just followed the glitter trail :o)

    ReplyDelete