Friday, May 4, 2012

All Things Provo

I love Utah.

This has not been an instant love.
Nor has it been an easily acquired love.
No, in fact, I used to loathe Utah. For quite awhile.

However, now that I have lived in Provo, moved away, returned to visit, went back home, and returned to visit again, I have come to the realization that I really do love Utah.

I love the distinct smell of dry, mountain, air.
I love the nostalgia of walking around BYU campus.
I love eating my favorite "Utah food": Costa Vida, J.Dawgs, Kneader's french toast, and kong cones at Macey's.
I love the hot, sunny, days, and cool, refreshing nights.
Most of all, I love being so close to so much family, and a few friends, too!

With every list of loves, there's always a list of quirks.
This trip has proved to be especially quirky:

1. Utah Drivers. Ugh.
By Utah Drivers I really mean: all-the-college-students-from-all-over-the country-drivers.
I forgot how much people out here seem to enjoy: cutting other cars off, zooming into the suicide lane (or traffic flow) and barely missing getting hit, running very very yellow (ehm, red!) lights, driving ridiculously slow when we want to go fast, and any other manner of frustrating, annoying, forms of driving to other drivers.
2. All the college students grocery shopping at Macey's: single girls with roommates, single kids in general, dating couples, newlyweds, etc. They're all cute and remind me of those single days.
3. Hearing: "Yeah, I'm first counselor in Relief Society" from the cashier at Panda Express.
4. Construction. Everywhere. Ugh.
5. Pedestrians with a death wish. Seriously. We've almost hit people about 3 different times due to them jumping out in front of our car without really looking. Come on, people, don't you remember Kindergarten? "When you get to the road, stop, look both ways, then cross." Not. That. Hard. Might save your life too, just sayin'.

And of course, this:



Aside from the quirks, which are really quite laughable, it has been a very fun and relaxing vacation.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you guys are having fun! Haha Utah is definitely it's OWN place...nothing much like it anywhere else! We get a taste of what you're talking about in Rexburg, just because everyone's Mormon, there are only 2 grocery stores--only 1 w/in most students' walking distance (so you are BOUND to run into students everywhere), college student drivers are everywhere, most from Utah, in a city that has far outgrown its own traffic system, and we have Costa Vida! Mmmm love that place :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No joke about the ice cream cones at Maceys. Fry sauce should be on your list too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the fun times of Provo, but be glad you weren't here on graduation day. You can't go ANYWHERE that day. LaurAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to hear you say that you love Utah :) I know it is sort of a love/hate relationship, right? Especially when all the college kids are around.

    I just have to tell you that Aspen couldn't stop talking about the puppy all weekend. She instantly fell in love with her! It was so great to see you guys & you are looking amazing, Karissa. I may just have to go and try on a pair of skinny jeans myself now! Did I just type that out loud? ;)

    ReplyDelete