Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Why I NEED to Run

Why I NEED to Run
...or so i think

To stay in shape
 To have a hobby
To do something for me
To re-define myself
To escape
To set and achieve unlikely goals
Because I really, really, like to eat

 Because I can.


We were cleaning out Dad's house not too long ago, and I came across a pile of old running magazines.
By old, I mean a few months or a year old.
I confiscated them and began feasting. 
I figured, hey, I bought new running shoes, clothes, and head bands, I might as well read about it.

I found two articles that hit me hard. To the core.

1.
The first was a story from a husband about his wife. She had seen him running every day for years and one day said she wanted to start running and asked for tips. 
He said: 
"First, you'll have to make yourself a priority. Get up and run, first, before somebody comes up with something they think is more important for you to do."

Ding-a-ling! Any moms out there that can relate? Everything we do is for someone else! Our hubby, our kids, our neighbors, our family. I know I can relate. 

He went on to state a bunch of great tips, and ended with this quote: 
"Now that I think about it, becoming a runner requires your to change just about everything about your life." 

I could use some positive changes in my life. I could use a hobby. I could use a more healthy lifestyle.

2. 
The second article hit home even more than the first. This time it was a woman sharing her story about how running saved her when one of her children was born with a serious bleeding disorder. She started running to cope with the stress, pain, and sadness. Also so she could cry without upsetting her family. At the end of her story, she said: 

"Running is the only thing I have that's mine. To go sweat, breathe, cry in the rain, and scream or sing in the woods is why I love running."


Amen.
And now, I will run.




4 comments:

  1. i love that! i just ran a mile straight last night for the first time in over 2 years. it was hard while i did it, but i felt SO good when i was done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I love that. I read about a lady who used her walks to pray. She'd pray out loud and was sure people thought she must be crazy, walking the neighborhood muttering to herself, but that communion with God was incredibly meaningful to her.

    Good luck with running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had the weird urge to run and get in shape since I had Kellen...SO not like me. I struggle on the treadmill but I ran outside last week for the first time and it is SO stress relieving. People have said running is addictive and now I believe them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love running... when I can do it outside. Not a big fan of the treadmill. But when that is the only option, when it is freezing outside with 10 feet of snow, it makes me feel better than not doing it at all.

    You should sign up for a 5K or a 10K. I have found that the motivation of a race coming up on me is huge. And, they are actually really fun! You get out there with tons of other people who do it just for fun. It gets the adrenaline going.

    ReplyDelete