Saturday, May 26, 2012

W.W.W.

W.W.W. aka "Whole Wheat Waffles"

This is what we had for breakfast.

When I was young, almost every Spring Break we would jump in the car and make the 16 hour drive from Kansas City to Utah to visit our family. We would always stay at Grandma and Grandpa's house (for at least the majority of the trip). One of my absolute favorite memories was waking up to the smell of waffles. But these were not just any waffles, they were Grandpa made and kid approved. They were also whole wheat.

To this day I'm still not exactly sure what he did to the batter to make them taste so. darn. good. But he did something. And let me tell you, I've never tasted a better whole wheat waffle in my life than Grandpa's. I've also tried to recreate them many times. All failing.

When he served those waffles, they came piping hot off the pan, dished up with lots of butter, hot syrup, bacon, eggs, orange juice, and whatever else you could possibly imagine for breakfast. Breakfast at Grandpa's is still a very special treat, and something me and my siblings all look forward to when we visit!

Today I made some w.w.w. They didn't turn out nearly as good as Grandpa's. But, they were from scratch, and they were altered from a recipe, and turned out yummy the first try. I didn't want to forget what I did, and I wanted to share it with you, because nothing says awesome like a breakfast you can feel good about (that tastes good too!).

Whole Wheat Waffles 
(K's version)
1 1/4 cup whole wheat
1/2 cup white flour
2 TBL. brown sugar, packed
1 TBL. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten,
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 + 1/8 cup applesauce**
1/8 cup cooking oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix the dry ingredients together. Mix the wet ingredients separately. Add the wet into the dry and stir JUST until it's moistened. The batter will be quite lumpy. Pour onto a waffle grid and cook according to grid directions. 

**With the applesauce/oil, it called for a 1/2 cup oil but instead I filled a 1/2 cup about three quarters of the way full with apple sauce, then topped it off with the oil. So I'm not sure of exact measurements. You couldn't even taste the applesauce, and they turned out nice and moist!

These took about 5 minutes to throw together, all with ingredients I had on hand. Try them. They're yummy! And I felt great about having a healthy breakfast. 


Happy Saturday everyone! Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend. I'll be running a 5k on Monday and I can't wait! Especially after running 4 miles at 10 minutes per mile this morning. Small victories, people, that's what it's about!!


Now to go clean up the mess of Bubs "cooking" in the dogs food and water bowl. Oy.

3 comments:

  1. you are a running machine! that is awesome. these waffles sound good. we'll have to give them a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...sweet, sweet, memories. I want waffles! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sound delicious! You'll have to make some for us when we see you next...

    ReplyDelete