Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"So you're a runner, too?"


I have never claimed to be a runner.
I don't really think of myself as one.
However, there may be changes in the breeze.

I ran my first 5k on Memorial Day. I honestly have never run an organized 5k in my life. I've done it while training, but never as a race. I woke up a little jittery and nervous the morning of. I thought I was completely prepared for what was ahead and kept telling myself "don't be worried, this is nothing. You run 3 miles nearly every day, you'll be fine."


Just before the race was set to begin, I strapped on and plugged in my ipod to get it started. Dead. Not one drop of battery. Hurdle number 1.
My dear hubby was so kind and gave me his, insisting that he would be fine without music. I, on the other hand, cannot run without music. (though I've never tried)
We lined up and heard "On your mark, get set, go!" and the race began. I was right out in front, lined up with my hubby, and watched him shoot off like a bullet. Being the competitive girl I am, shot off much faster than I should have. Hurdle number 2.
The race started at 8:30 am. It was a balmy 80 degrees (or more) with 50% humidity making it feel like 85. In English, for runners, this means really, really, hot! The hottest I've run in while training is 72. Hurdle number 3.
As I was running along, listening to music, I realized that hubby's playlist was not exactly pump up and needs to be updated. Badly. Hurdle number 4.
I also realized that the shorts combo I was wearing, spanx shorts and soccer shorts, was not an ideal combo for running as they kept riding up. Hurdle number 5.

By the time we came to the last long stretch of road before the finish line, I was feeling a bit wasted since I had started so fast with no warm up. My legs felt about 100 pounds each. My head and chest and arms were aching. I felt like vomiting. All I wanted was some shade and water. I was *this close* to walking, but as I rounded the corner I saw my two boys watching and cheering for me. No way could I walk now! I straggled up to the finish line and realized why runners always stop right after crossing and keel over with their hands on their knees. It feels very apropos.

I checked my watch and realized I finished in 29 minutes. After contemplating that for awhile, I thought it was actually wrong and perhaps I finished in 28 minutes. I thought it to be nearly impossible, considering how slow I felt I was going, and the suffocating heat, so I went to the official time sheet.

28:09!

That, my friends, is a 9.06 minute mile!
I've never run that fast in my life.
And considering all the unexpected hurdles I had pop up, I feel pretty dang good about that!

My favorite comment of the day came from someone that saw me work as a choreographer for their ward. She simply said: "So you're a runner, too!?" with a look of awe.

That made my day. What a boost of confidence. What a great day!
I'm only just a little proud of myself. Especially considering I've been consistently running for about 2.5 weeks.

Pre-race family picture

Post race. A little hot and sweaty.

Post race with a close friend of mine from our ward.



Two of my close friends and fellow Logan wives.



Me running.
I took it from someone who posted it on facebook. Thanks!

And again.

My hubby said it best when he said: "I love running outside because it makes me feel alive."
Amen, baby, amen!


9 comments:

  1. Karissa! Nice work! You beat my Memorial day 5k time by a whole minute! Can't wait for the color run! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Karissa! You beat my Memorial day 5K time by a whole minute! :) Can't wait for the color run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did so awesome!! you're time is super impressive. :) i love how you documented all your hurdles and yet you STILL rocked the race. way to go. you can DO this!

    (p.s. i used to think that i could only run while listening to music, but then my visiting teacher in cincinnati mentioned that she had conference talks downloaded to her ipod instead and once i gave it a shot i realized that it almost works better to keep me distracted from the fact that i am running! that being said, i do like racing to music. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really is an awesome time, especially for your first race. And you've only been running for 2.5 weeks?! Crazy!! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Karissa, so I totally HATE running but your blog post is inspiring me. Maybe I'll try to run...maybe. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your friend Christina...the only reason I hated running before is because of the hypoglycemia...now that it's pretty much gone, I really want to try! I even bought cute running clothes!! Any tips for a complete novice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo-hoo! You just did your first race! And, with an awesome time, too! I have a 10K coming up in a week and a half, and I admit I am a little nervous for it. I haven't been able to run outside at all yet this season... considering that it SNOWED 4 imches on Saturday. Ugh. I think I just need to go buy myself a cute new top (like yours) so I will at least feel good about myself while I am out there gasping and panting along the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go!! What an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry that was me. It didn't publish right. LaurAnn

    ReplyDelete