Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lost and Found in Chicago

Several years ago, a very close friend of mine invited me to visit Chicago with her and her parents. I was so dang excited! I'd never been there, and it was exciting to be going with such a good friend!

Now, if you don't know anything about Chicago, you should know that they have a subway system there that runs through the city, called the "El." Pretty much to get anywhere you have to ride that train.

We had just arrived in the city and were headed to our hotel, I think. I can't remember exactly, but I know we hadn't been there long. When we got off the train, my friend realized she had left her wallet on the seat in the El. In such a big city, with so many people, and such a big subway system, it would be nearly impossible to recover it. But we tried anyway. After no success, we carried on with the evening.

That night and the next day we did some serious praying to find her wallet. Aside from the money it contained, there were other things in the wallet that were special to her. Well, that day, either the day after or 2 days after she lost it, I got a phone call from my dad. It went something like this:

"Is your friend missing a wallet?"
Yes...
"Did you write her a check for something?"
Yes... 
"Well, someone turned it in to a bank (store?) and they have it."

Turns out that someone had taken the wallet, extracted all the cash from it, and then turned it in to a bank (or some other store) and told them he'd found it. For some reason I had written her a check for something, and my home phone number was written on that check. The people who recovered the wallet called my parents house and asked them if they knew whose wallet it was. After some back and forth phone calls, we went to the place and got the wallet. Nothing else had been touched except the cash taken. From what I remember, no credit card information had been stolen either.

It was quite a miraculous story. I wish I could remember all the details, but I'm old now.

I'm almost 30.
...in almost a decade.
But I'm closer to 30 than 15.
...thanks for reminding me, mom.
But it's only by 1 year.

Anyway, I love remembering that story and believing in the power of prayer. I don't remember all the little details, but I do remember at the time it was such a testimony building experience for me. I knew without a doubt that the only reason we were able to recover the wallet was because we prayed for help and had faith that Heavenly Father would help us. And He did.

Now that friend of mine is married to a really great guy, who I've never met, and has a super cute little boy! It's so fun to look back on the younger years and think about how much we've grown and changed since then!


1 comment:

  1. What a great story! I've never been to Chicago, either!

    I love that closer to 30 than 15 thing...when I read that I was all, "what!? She can't be almost 30!! We weren't that far apart in age!" Glad you're not :o)

    ReplyDelete