Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where were you?

I was 13.

It was the most incredible, beautiful, perfect, early Fall day. The sky was bluer than blue with not a cloud in sight. It was the perfect temperature outside with a soft breeze.

We had just finished breakfast and were starting on our first school assignments of the day. Nothing out of the ordinary. Until Dad called. Mom's face turned panicky and she rushed to turn on the tv..."guys, stop what you're doing and come watch this! Now!" The 1st plane had just struck the first tower. It was billowing smoke. We all stood there, stunned, speechless, wondering what the heck was going on. "You are watching history happen right now," said mom.

As things progressed, we watched the live camera. The reporter was clearly at a delay when the 2nd plane hit. I remember mom freaking out and all of us yelling at the tv voice trying to tell him a 2nd plane had hit. Suddenly he realized it too. Then it started crumbling. Again, he was delayed. Again we were all yelling at the tv "It's falling! Oh my gosh, the tower is falling!" And the second one fell. We couldn't stop watching.

Later, we went outside to get the mail. I will never forget how quiet it was. No planes flying by. No cars driving by. Nothing but a couple birds singing. It was downright eerie.

Later that night we continued watching the news. It was only after we had sat glued to the tv that the announcers warned parents to not let their children see the images. They are too graphic and violent. They could cause serious nightmares. Too late.

I will never forget that day. I will never forget the sights and sounds and the feelings. I can't believe it's been 9 years. Seems like yesterday still. For those who lost loved ones, remember that wonderful hymn... "God be with you til we meet again."

Where were you?

3 comments:

  1. First hour math class. The entire school turned on their TVs and kept them on until the principal announced over the intercom to turn them off later in the day. I remember my friend Vanessa got called to the office because her mom had called, she had an uncle that worked in the towers. Miracles happen though, and her uncle had called in sick that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in band class. My band teacher came running in and turned on the tv. We sad glued to the tv through each class until they let us go home early. My mom asked why we were home. I looked at her, shocked, and said "You haven't heard!?" and turned the tv on. I remember watching that shocked sick feeling on her face too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had just eaten breakfast too and the news was on like it normally was. I saw it happen but didn't realize it was live or something of importance to me in my life. But then I looked a little closer and realized what was going on. My dad was scheduled to be in a meeting in the twin towers that morning. For some reason I had a sense of calm and peace that all would be okay, at least with him. He called and told us his meeting had been switched to some international building down the street a little before the tragedy. Man, God was looking out for those families, including mine.

    ReplyDelete