Tuesday, September 28, 2010

25 week pic and recipe

So, here I am at 25 weeks and 2 days.

It's amazing how suddenly the belly just pops out. I thought I was getting big at 22 weeks, but nope. I look at those and think I was pretty small. Although I think this past week I popped out quite a bit. Pretty crazy!

So far things are going well. I can't believe it's been a week since I've written in this. Nothing huge has happened. No job yet. Scott is still busy with school and enjoying it. I've been enjoying hanging out with the neighbors, Kathryn and going to Relief Society events. I've also really enjoyed the weather the past couple days! It was rainy, cloudy and cold all day Sunday and it was perfect. Now it's just lovely at 70-75 degrees. So nice. Finally Fall is coming and staying! I hope.

I made Apple Crisp on Sunday. It's been awhile since I made it. I think it's probably my most favorite dessert in the Fall. I love the flavors and texture. SO stinkin' good! And easy too! We also ate tomato soup with cheese bread and hot chocolate on Sunday. It was the perfect food for the perfect day. And we watched Runaway Jury. Of course, I fell asleep cuddled up to Scott, but it was perfect anyway. So nice to just enjoy a relaxing afternoon cuddled on the couch with a blanket and your spouse. Especially because it was cold outside.

The most exciting thing that's happened this past week was that I qualified for WIC, and Food Stamps. So now I'm fully loaded on Government money. The WIC is cool because it pays for milk, cheese, eggs, some cereal and some other things. It's not a ton, but will definitely help! I also get $200 a month in Food Stamps so combined we shouldn't have to pay much, if anything, out of pocket for groceries. I'm hoping that we can save up some money this way and be able to somehow get a car next year. We really want one, but we won't buy one until we absolutely know we'll be able to make payments every month until it's paid off. We're thinking about a Honda Pilot. Maybe '05 or so. We think it'd be good for us to grow into because it can seat 8 people (not necessarily super comfy, but nonetheless). Then by the time it's too squishy (hopefully at least 8 years or so) we can sell it and get something bigger and nicer since we should be better off financially then.

One last thing before I end this novel. I can't believe how fast time is flying. This weekend is October and General Conference (SO excited!) And soon it'll be Halloween. Then a KC baby shower, then a STL baby shower, then Thanksgiving, then December and pretty soon Christmas. And after Christmas??? BABY!!!! (hopefully) I can't believe it. I can't believe I'm 6 months already and only have 14 1/2 more weeks. Wow!

Keep reading for Apple Crisp recipe!

Apple Crisp (from emily bishop at YW)
Butter a 9x13 pan and preheat oven to 350.

8 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples (don't use Gala! they get too mushy)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

Combine and stir so evenly coated in the pan. (I dump the apples in, sprinkle, then stir all in the pan. Why wash an extra dish?)

Top with:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup butter

Mix together in a separate bowl and crumble on top of the apples. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes depending on your oven. It's done when it's a nice, light, golden brown on top. Not too dark or too light. YUM!!! So easy and SO delicious!!!


2 comments:

  1. you're looking SOOO good, girl! I was always jealous of your curvy figure growing up, while I was stuck looking about 10 years old! :o) Now you have an adorable belly!! Love it! Thanks for the picture! It's about that time where I need to take another one!

    I'm jealous about your food stamps! Mitch and I really wanted to take advantage of that (especially since NO ONE has seen financial aid at our school...school started almost a month ago!), but in Idaho you have to either have kids or be working 20 hours/week (and not combined; that's for one person). I wonder if qualifying when you're in grad school is different? I know it's way more expensive! Anyway, congrats, and good luck saving! Cars are so much fun :o) Oh, and PS--I love WIC. LOVE IT!! I have my own lactation consultant for after the baby comes and she can answer calls anytime I need help! The people in the grocery stores are very nice and discreet, too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did pop, so cute! and apple crisp sounds so delicious I might go make some now

    ReplyDelete