Thursday, December 24, 2009

A little too close to the End...

Well, yesterday was the scariest day of my entire life. I watched my husband come inches away from sliding off an extremely icy canyon cliff. I thank the Lord that He was there guiding the car to safety.

We drove down the Shoshone falls canyon to take a look at the waterfall and take some pictures. On the way up there was a side road down to the lake that was covered in frozen mist from the falls. The trees and grass were beautiful, so we wanted some pictures. Little did we know that the road we turned onto was covered in about an inch thick of slick black ice. There is no control in your car on ice like that. The cliff was at our left and the canyon wall at our right. We kept sliding toward the cliff. Finally the car stopped and Scott told me to get out. He wanted to try and get the car turned around or reversed or something.

I had to turn around. As soon as he tried doing anything the car slid more toward the edge. He realized the brake would do nothing and he had to drive down the road and turn around. I was praying harder than I ever had before.

As he was coming up the hill, the car couldn't get any traction right on the last bit, so he tried the brake. Instead of stopping, he slid backward with no control and the Lord pushed the back end of the car into the canyon wall. The car went right between a large rock on the right and left and the back tires found the sage brush and grass. He stopped and was able to get out of the car. I waved down a truck coming down the main road and they picked us up and took us to the top to call home. They ended up taking us home. Mom Dodds called a tow truck and Scott and Sue went down to meet them.

300 feet of cable and chains, a little salt to walk on, and a few minutes, they were able to pull the car up.

I had never been so happy to see and hug my husband as I was when he walked in the door.

It is amazing to think and reflect back on those scary moments and see the Lord's hand in what happened. I am just in awe that nothing worse happened. We were so close to falling over the edge. Especially Scott. I don't know how I could live if I lost him. And the Lord knew that too and kept him safe.

I will never forget this experience and every time I remember it, my stomach will turn and I'll shake a little bit. But I will never forget the love of God and his incredible hand leading us and guiding us through our life. He is there. He loves us. He loves you. He is keenly aware of our needs and the desires of our hearts. Do not ever forget the Lord. He never forgets you.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I am SO glad you are both safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!! I can't believe this! All I can say is WOW!! I'm so glad you guys are safe!

    ReplyDelete