Friday, December 7, 2012

Refined Taste Buds

Our lunch conversation today went something like this:

me: "Do you think it's super weird that I eat grapefruit with salt?"
hubs: "Yeah. Grapefruit is gross."
me: "No it's not, it requires adult taste."
hubs: *grin* "Bubs, mommy is saying I'm still a kid."

As I cleaned up the dishes I thought about Refined Adult Taste Buds and reflected on things I hated as a kid but love now that I'm an adult.

Grapefruit. I Hated this with a capital H when I was young. No matter how much sugar I dumped on it, it would always taste bitter and disgusting. Then one day I decided to try what my mom suggested, sprinkle salt on top of the cut fruit. Now I love it. The salt cuts the bitterness and highlights the sweet.  Every time I eat grapefruit I think about my mom. Win-win right there!

Avocado. I used to think avocados were terrible. I don't know why, but I did. Now as an adult I'm obsessed with avocados. Ask my husband. I could eat an entire avocado with a spoon if I wanted. When they're in season and cheap, avocados go on anything and everything I can think of. Especially on my Teriyaki Chicken & Quinoa stir fry. Mmmm.

Salmon. I had a horrible experience with Salmon as a child. I was completely paranoid about bones and would chew the fish to mush before choking it down. I despised everything about it. Then I grew up, got brave, and fixed it my own way. Now I love Salmon! Especially if it is not overcooked.

Blueberries. Actually, I've always loved blueberries. As a child we would make trips to the blueberry patch every summer. We would pick until our buckets and tummies were full and our hands and lips were blue. Then we would buy blueberry flavored honey sticks, drive home, and make blueberry muffins for breakfast. Our fridge and freezer were packed with pounds and pounds of blueberries that lasted most of the year. I loved those days. Even now, blueberries are my favorite fruit. Bubs and I can eat a pint a meal (or more!) if we had them! In my mind, nothing can beat a big, plump, juicy blueberry, freshly picked from the bush.

So tell me, what are some foods you hated as a kid but love as an adult? I'll try and think of some more, but now we're going to set up Christmas at our apartment! Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Potatoes of all things! But then I grew up and became an Idahoan and realized it was blasphemy to not love potatoes. I started eating them and found that my childhood dislike of them had more to do with the way my mom prepared them than the potatoes themselves! Don't tell her that though! Now I roast them, fry them, "boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!! It reminded me of all kinds of great memories with you. :) I feel the same way about avocados. And the blueberry patch...AHHH! So amazing. Come visit next summer and we'll take Blake and the new baby. Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete