Monday, January 23, 2012

The Lesson of the Kitchen Brush

Many years ago, when my mom was my teacher, chauffeur, therapist, and cook, she taught me a lesson I have never forgotten: everything has a center of gravity. 

It was one of those science lessons about balance and gravity and stuff, and I didn't believe her at the time. I really didn't think everything had a center of gravity and could balance on something else...so long as you found the center. 

During that lesson we tried balancing all kinds of different things: salt shakers, and, well, actually I don't remember what else. 

My point is, when we spent enough time moving an object minuscule corrections at a time, we eventually found the center of gravity and the object would balance perfectly on top of something else, or at a precarious angle, for a split second or two. (sometimes much longer)

Throughout my life, I have had this little lesson pop into my head on numerous occasions. I have also tried to precariously balance various objects at strange angles to test this belief. Usually after several minutes of minuscule corrections, I eventually find the center, and the object balances for a brief moment. 

I believe that just as everything has a center of gravity, everything also has a point of weakness. 

I found the point of weakness on my favorite kitchen brush this morning. 
It was a sad, sad, discovery. 

However, this incident caused me to ponder and reflect upon points of weakness, centers of gravity, outside force, and how it relates to me and Christ. 

1. Outside Force:

We all know there is an adversary, his name is Satan. He tries to bombard us daily with temptations, feelings, and actions that are very un-Christlike. He is the outside force. He constantly tries to find our points of weakness and break us. 

2. Points of Weakness:

Each of us have a weakness, known or unknown at the time, that our adversary loves to use as his way into our life. It may take awhile to identify, but when Satan finds that weak point, he will begin pushing ever so slightly in hopes that we will not recognize what is happening. When we adapt to the pressure, he pushes harder. It continues on until he has completely led us astray and broken us. However, for some, as soon as that weak point is found, he hits with enough brute force to break us the first time. 

3. Center of Gravity:

We all have a center of gravity, literally and figuratively. Our literal center of gravity is our abdomen. If our abs are strong and tight, we can balance and hold incredible poses. Think of gymnasts and ballerinas: endless fouette turns en pointe or back handsprings and flips on a balance beam. Because their core is engaged and strong, they are able to balance and freely move other parts of the body.

Our figurative (or perhaps somewhat literal as well) center of gravity should be Christ. Should, because for many it is, and many it is not. When our life is firmly grounded and centered in Christ, the whirlwinds of the adversary can blow about us and have no power over us. 

Helaman 5:12 says it much more eloquently than I can: And now, my sons, remember, remember, that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.  

4. Fortifying the Weak:

If we can identify our own personal weaknesses, come unto Christ in humility and faith, He will make weak things become strong. (Ether 12:27)

Recently I have been reading the book of Alma in the Book of Mormon. I just finished the war chapters and the accounts of Captain Moroni. He was constantly fortifying his cities and making the weakest areas become the strongest. When the Lamanites came to battle they were surprised and decided not to fight against the strong parts because they couldn't win. If we could be like Captain Moroni and fortify our weak points so our adversary couldn't win, how much better off would we be? 

Better off than my poor kitchen brush. 

Though I had not discovered a center for the brush to balance on, when I applied quick, brute force, by banging it on the sink edge to remove some oatmeal, I quickly (and depressingly) found the point of weakness and broke it. 




Amazing what lessons we can learn from a simple kitchen brush. 

2 comments:

  1. You are wise beyond your years. Awesomeness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, this is a YW lesson just waiting to be taught! Complete with the broken brush, that is hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete