Monday, May 16, 2011

Twas the night before mother's day

Unfortunately I have absolutely no pictures from my first mother's day. Fortunately, I still have my brain (I think) and can remember most of what happened. This is how it went down...

Twas the Night Before Mother's Day

Twas the night before Mother's Day, and there at the house,
A man came over, wearing a man blouse.
He sat on the couch and chatted with us,
Then dropped a bomb that made me feel thrown under a bus.

He inquired about nursery and service in our church.
I was not so excited, I thought I might burst.
We kindly accepted then he left us alone,
For we did not know what we had comin in the morn'.

The babe woke that morning at a terrible time,
For I could not curl my hair and feel most divine.
But I found sweet notes from that husband I love,
He's truly spectacular, a gift from above.

The first hour of church passed by so fast,
I didn't even have time to ponder my past.
I gathered my flower plant and chocolate with care,
Then slunk down the hall to find what awaited me there.

A room full of children all munching on snacks,
I thought "hey, this really might not be so bad."
It turned out just fine, a little crazy for sure,
And thus we returned the next week for some more.

Upon arrival at home my dear husband said
"You're tired, exhausted, please go to bed"
I slept for 2 hours, what a glorious delight,
Then woke to a dinner I didn't cook that night.

Steak salad, chocolate dipped strawberries, and candles had he,
And a surprise at the end, a late cake for me!
For I had not one on my birthday this year,
Perhaps on the next, perhaps from my dear.

I discovered more notes from the cute man that night,
They were coupons for things that money can't buy:
A night on the town, without my sweet babe,
Time with my husband I've dreamt 'bout for days.

Then a letter of love, appreciation and care,
I tried not to cry, so he wouldn't stare.
He knows I love notes of any old kind,
And that morning he definitely kept that in mind.

The day was delightful, lovely and nice,
For my husband showed appreciation more than thrice.
My babe loves me too, I know this for sure,
For when he is starving, he always wants me more.

And now that I've experienced Mother's Day like the rest,
I will not necessarily be the first one to attest:
Mother's day is to celebrate women and give them a break:
Mother's, Grandmother's and Wives, they're all really so GREAT!

The End.


My dearest child,
Thank you so much for making me a mother.
I love you,
me.

8 comments:

  1. wow! I wish I could write poetry! That was awesome! I loved the "man blouse"

    Oh, nursery...the most selfless calling in the Church as far as I'm concerned! I'm surprised they would call a couple who already has a little baby to wrestle during church! That's how you KNOW it's revelation :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My own, dear sweet daughter,
    Who made me mom twice,
    I simply can't tell you
    A thing that's more nice,
    Than reading sweet poems,
    Crafted only by you
    To remind me what moms
    are sent here to do...

    Cry. ; )

    So glad you had such a great Mother's Day! You deserved it!

    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was quite impressed with that extraordinary poem! I love you and your baby. And you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the poem!! and congrats on the new calling :) i was in nursery for over 2 years in our ward in utah. it was fun, but over 2 years was a bit long :) hopefully you'll get out before then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! Happy first mother's day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! Nursery, eh...I hear that's the best kept secret in the church! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim and I are STILL nursery leaders (going on a year and a half now). Good thing there are only about 5-6 kids in our nursery, and one of them is ours! I know, it's a rarity in Utah to only have 6 kids in the nursery. Most wards have 2 or 3 nurseries with like 50 kids in each of them!

    Tysen is actually legal nursery age now. He's been coming since he was 8 months old. Blake will be so well-adjusted, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete