Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Too many tornadoes

Well, I'm a Midwest girl. I grew up with big thunderstorms and tornado warnings. I had a love-hate relationship with such storms. Then I moved out West and gripped about how I wanted a Midwest storm.

Well, now I would like to be back in the West. This tornado season has been really un-nerving. I might feel a little better if we had a basement, but we live in an apartment complex. I do feel a little better because we're surrounded by trees and we're in a very hilly area. But it doesn't help settle my nerves when I see an EF4 hit 30 minutes north of me, and hit the airport. It also doesn't help when an EF3 (I think) hits about 7 miles south east in a neighborhood. Then the worst is seeing the EF5 in Joplin and the many lives that were taken plus the destruction that occurred. It's also scary seeing an EF5 in Oklahoma headed toward my family in Oklahoma City and the surrounding areas. And of course we can't forget the Alabama tornado taking several hundred peoples lives.

It's just too close to home.

And another outbreak is supposed to happen today. In the metro area. Ugh.

Some things that do make me feel better: knowing that all LDS members in Joplin are alive and have been accounted for. All the missionaries there are alive and safe. All the missionaries in Japan were alive and safe. The stake center in Joplin was completely demolished while a single adults activity was happening. And nobody died.

It's a little unsettling to see so many signs of the second coming, and seeing the world change. At least I can find comfort in God, His will, His plan, and His love.

1 comment:

  1. What a great perspective! Thank you so much! I have been very worried about all the people I love in KC. Joplin was just too close to home! I love your statement at the end!

    ReplyDelete