Monday, March 4, 2013

My Relationship with Trader Joe's


I really, really, want to love Trader Joe's. All my friends love it, everyone who has ever shopped there love's it, I'm pretty sure even the employee's love it.

I haven't jumped on that bandwagon yet....
Why the heck? Are you crazy? you might ask.
Well, here's why:

1. TJ's is intimidating to me. Always.

Not quite as intimidating as Whole Foods, where I feel like a completely lost shmuck who has no idea what the heck kamut, spelt, and tahini are, so thus I shouldn't shop there...aside from the fact that I feel like it's a store for rich and organic (read: skinny) people who have unique taste buds, which really means it's not for me. Because other than it being a grain, I don't have a clue what spelt is or how to use it. Nor have I ever cooked or eaten Swiss Chard, Bok Choy, or even Kale. It's like visiting a foreign country for me to walk inside.

That aside, WFs does have some killer breads, ready-to-eat lunches, and amazing dips. I hear the gelato is amazing, the sushi looks incredible, and I know their cookies are yummo too. I'm just not well educated enough to shop there.

So, to me, TJ's is a little, mini, Whole Foods, but cheaper. I'm not educated well enough on what the best things to buy are and I don't care so much about organic or not, so it's intimidating and often frustrating to me.

2. Don't ever, ever, ever, go to TJ's on a Saturday.

I did that once. Or twice. Or maybe three times. I'm forgetful and pregnant and blame it on that. When there's too many people crowded in a small grocery store it stresses me out. Especially when I have no idea where to find what I'm looking for, so it takes me awhile of staring at an aisle to figure it out. It's even worse when I realize there are 50 different types of dried fruit, and I can't find any without added sugar. Then I look for the granola, and can't find what I'm hoping for. Then I check the bread and realize almost every loaf is "multi grain" so how do I know which one is the best with the most natural ingredients? All this while people are reaching, grabbing, dodging, and zooming around me trying to get their own groceries.

By the time I made it to the register, my blood pressure jumped about 50 points and my head was aching from the tension in my shoulders. Once in my car, I chugged some water, breathed deep, and promised to never return on a Saturday.

3. TJ's is expensive to me. 

Maybe it's because I've turned into such a tightwad. Maybe it's because I live a mile from Aldi. Maybe it's because I'm not accustomed to shopping at more specialty type grocery stores. Maybe it's because I don't care about buying everything organic. Maybe it's because I know when we move it won't be nearby.

Mostly I think it's because I'm a tightwad and I live a mile from Aldi, which is about the cheapest groceries you could possibly buy: $1/lb strawberries, 99 cent bag of carrots, $1/pint blueberries, 99 cent tri-colored peppers, 79 cent bag of onions, etc. I've never found cheaper produce than at Aldi. (although sometimes it doesn't last quite as long, and sometimes you have to be picky and choosy, but overall it's worth it!!)

When I go to Aldi, I can fill up 2-3 huge bags to the brim with everything I need for a week and usually pay $40-50. At Trader Joe's I filled up 3 smaller bags for $60 and still had to drop a pretty penny at Costco for eggs, milk, fruit, chicken, fish, etc. When I went to Whole Foods once, I got about 6-7  items, more than half of which was produce, and it cost me $45. Yikes!

So, in my mind, since I'm so used to shopping cheap at Aldi, everything else costs a fortune. I must be a tightwad.

4. But Trader Joe's has some serious deliciousness happening.

Have you ever tried their Pumpkin bread mix? How about the 7 minute steel cut oats? Or perhaps the sprouted whole wheat bread? Mmm. The frozen orange chicken, Joe joe's (oreos), and creamy, fatty, delicious yogurt, are some other tried and true favorites. Their bakery bread is to die for, their fresh flowers are gorgeous, and I hear they have some killer homemade pizza dough. Let's be honest, I haven't really ever had something from TJ's that I hated. Especially not that dark chocolate salted caramel bar... I just need more experience.

Conclusion

 I can completely understand why people love Trader Joe's so much! They've certainly hit a hot market right now with organic and healthy food at half the cost of Whole Foods. They also have a fun vibe happening inside and their cashiers are always super friendly and chatty.

Both my hubby and I have found a few things that we really, really, love at Trader Joe's, and perhaps I'll start shopping there more often to see how it really truly compares financially, but I will most definitely be planning that trip on a Wednesday, which is their slowest day.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll request the companionship of friends who are much more experienced at shopping there than I am so they can show me the ropes.

Moral of the story? I'm not completely in love with Trader Joe's, but I certainly don't hate it! I just need some more experience on a less stressful shopping day.


How do you feel about Trader Joe's and what are your favorite things to buy there??


2 comments:

  1. hahahaha. i feel the same way -- i just don't get the fanatical love of trader joe's. i think it's fine, but i don't really shop there all that often. when i do go there, it's usually because i'm trying to find something organic or as clean-eating as possible. and it is closer to me than whole foods (and slightly cheaper, too). this will reveal my inner hippie a bit, but it's also important to me to buy free-range/grass fed meat whenever possible for ethical reasons. i've watched a few too many documentaries and read too many books to buy conventionally raised meat. anyway, i HAVE found that familiarity is usually the key -- the more you frequent tj's the better you'll get to know the store, the deals, etc. and the more you will most likely start to love the store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I have never hear of the place but I just wanted to say how JEALOUS I am that you have an ALDI'S. Someone should really bring that store to the west!

    ReplyDelete