Friday, February 22, 2013

Quinoa Burgers, Cookies, and Snow

 I have a confession: I am a weather nerd.

There. I said it. I feel much better.

When big storms, winter or severe, are in the forecast and headed our way, you better believe I check weather.com, the news, and the radar, about 1,023,895 times before the storm actually arrives. I'm only slightly obsessive about this.

I have realized, through the years of my weather addiction, that winter storms are incredibly difficult to predict and prepare for. For example, earlier this winter they forecast a terrible ice storm and prepped all the roads with salt and brine. When we woke up, not a drop or flurry had fallen. None, nada, zip. A couple weeks after that, they forecast a very slight chance of maybe a flurry during the night. We woke up to 3-4 inches of snow on the ground.

So, when they started forecasting the storm that came yesterday, I didn't take it very seriously. I actually laughed out loud when I saw that schools had canceled class for the day...at 7:00 pm the night before. Since I had been following the weather, I knew the timeline and thought the schools were ridiculous. Especially when my friends in Kansas City were in the heart of the worst part and didn't cancel school until late that night or the morning of.

I was particularly amused when we woke up and found things to be dry as the desert.


However, I ended up being incredibly grateful for the precautions administrators took, because by 9:30 am, things started getting bad. First some snow, then sleet, then ice, then more snow. I haven't seen snow like I saw yesterday in a very long time. When it was all said and done, we got about 5-6 inches of snow with some ice and sleet mixed in. Since the air has been really cold for several days, every single thing stuck to the ground. 



Around 4:30 pm, we watched a poor Domino's delivery guy get completely stuck in our parking lot above. He was going absolutely nowhere. My neighbor and I finally sent our husbands out to help. They couldn't do much since even they couldn't get traction (it hadn't been plowed). Then 2 more men came by to assist. Luckily, one of them had a shovel so they had to shovel a small path, drive as far as possible while pushing the back, shovel again, drive and push, shovel again, and so on until he finally made it out. The whole ordeal from start to finish lasted about 30-40 minutes. 

Reminded me of my dad in his "abominable snowman" days of helping everyone get unstuck in the neighborhood. What a guy. 

Ever had a Quinoa Burger? 
Me either. Until this week.
I have been completely, utterly, disgustingly, bored with everything I know how to cook, and decided to try a new recipe every day this week. It has been really fun and sometimes not delicious. One of my favorites were these Quinoa Burgers. Light, refreshing, and really yummy. 
I know you're intrigued, so pop over to my food blog for the recipe: Karissa's Kitchen. These burgers come out around 125-150 calories per patty, so you can have two of them and still indulge in some amazing  no bake cookies. They taste as good, or better, than they look. 



You can thank me later for being so awesome and sharing such delicious food. ;-)
Happy Friday, everyone! Go enjoy a cookie. You deserve it.

2 comments:

  1. we Love no bake cookies. in fact ethan has been begging me all night to make some. :) that's good to hear your input on how long to keep them on the stove. i get so annoyed each time i make them because i can never seem to get the timing right and end up cooking them too long and then they get dry and crumbly and i end up have to put a little bit more milk in to fix the issue. next time i'm i'll keep it to just one minute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Both of these recipes look delicious. Although I would probably add a bun to the quinoa burgers- what can I say, I am a bit of a carb-oholic!

    ReplyDelete