Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Count Your Blessings

It has seriously been a rough week.

On Wednesday, Bubs got sick. Really sick. Like, eat and drink nothing, just snuggle in mom's arms and go in and out of sleep all day with a fever, sick. It was a little unsettling since he's never really been sick-sick. He started improving a little on Thursday and came down with a nasty cough Thursday night/Friday morning.

Friday night his cough was so bad it kept waking him up and he had a hard time falling back asleep without help, so, I ended up sleeping on couch cushions next to his bed all night. Of course by "sleep", I mean: laid there and just when I was about to fall asleep he'd cough again. I think he woke up about every 30-60 minutes coughing, which meant neither of us slept much. Rough, rough, night.
Saturday morning I was a total grump, obviously, and didn't feel great myself. Bubs was still coughing and making me nervous, so instead of going to the Hare in the Air event at Logan, Scott whisked him away to our ENT friend to check him out. I was completely bummed, since this was our last opportunity for the Easter bunny, but honestly I felt like crap too so I thought it was best. Later that day I had a baby shower for a close friend of mine that I was half in charge of planning and putting together. So, I took a quick power snooze and geared up for the party. It was so fun and so great to see my friends, but I was pretty miserable. I came home and crashed on the couch. I don't think I moved for the rest of the night except to eat a little hot cereal and take a hot bath.
Saturday night, Scott took his turn in Bub's room on the floor. This time, he didn't get much sleep. I was able to stay in bed for 12 hours, not necessarily sleeping the whole time but at least resting, which was so helpful and glorious. Sunday we were greeted with about 10-12 inches of snow and canceled church. I still felt pretty dang crummy, so I didn't do much of anything all day. Sunday night we decided to have Scott sleep on the couch and Bubs sleep in bed with me so that we could all be comfortable and get some rest. I must say, I definitely prefer my husband in my bed than my toddler! His 2 1/2 feet little body sure knows how to take up an entire Queen sized bed!!
Monday dawned dark and cloudy and schools across the city canceled. Hallelujah! I had Scott home to help for an extra day, which was much needed. Bubs was feeling better, but still not 100%. After nap time, we all bundled up to go outside for a few minutes. I held the dog's leash and watched while Bubs and Scott built an awesome snowman. After a few minutes, I was done and the dog was cold, so we went inside. When the boys finished the snowman, I trudged out to snap a couple pictures of them. As luck would have it, the snow was super wet and packable, which also meant every step was slippery. Just as I was stepping off the snow onto the concrete path, my weight shifted and my foot slid forward into the concrete, completely jamming my big toe with all my weight. Ouch.
I got some pictures and hobbled inside, writhing in pain and biting back tears. My immediate thought was "I just broke my toe." But, after my awesome doctor hubby checked it out, he decided it's probably not broken but that I sprained it pretty good when I jammed it so hard. Just what a pregnant, sick, mom, needed!


So here were are at Tuesday. We all slept in our correct beds last night and got quite a good night's rest. Bub's cough is much better though still present. I'm feeling better, enough to move around and take care of necessary things, but I'm still really congested and now coughing too. So where is the silver lining?

Blessings

Wednesday- a friend, and neighbor, was able to run to the store for me to get OJ, popsicles, a thermometer and other sick things for Bubs since I couldn't take him and Scott wasn't due home for several hours. Another friend babysat while Scott and I went to a meeting. Then I was able to go have some girl time at craft night.
Thursday- I was able to get out and get some much needed groceries because Bubs was feeling slightly better, he also went to sleep easily and early for me.
Friday- I was able to finish up some groceries and finish some prep for the baby shower on Saturday. Scott came home and whisked Bubs away so I could have a break before going to dinner with Scott's sister's family from Arkansas. It was SO great to see them and be with family. Even though Bubs had a coughing fit and the table next to us was staring uncomfortably.
Saturday- our friend was able to give me peace of mind with Bubs by checking him out, I was able to have a power nap before the baby shower, Scott was home to help me out, I was able to rest for a long, long time while he took care of everything else.
Sunday- the big snowstorm canceled church so I could have my hubby home all day, the RS president called and offered to set up meals for us for the next few nights, ward members brought us dinner.
Monday- school was canceled (hallelujah!) which meant another day with the hubby and no nannying, we were brought dinner again, the boys built a snowman and had some fun out of the house for once.

I'm still looking for the silver lining with injuring myself, but maybe it's just a way of someone saying: "hey, you need to slow down a little bit!" I had definitely heaped too many things on my plate over the weekend and had to cancel several commitments, which always makes me feel terrible, but, sometimes it's necessary.

Thankfully, Scott has not gotten sick yet and has been a tremendous help playing Mister Mom around here! I  think he's been a little surprised at how fast the stinkin' dishes pile up in the sink, though. I'm really grateful for all the help we've received. It has definitely made things more bearable. I'm hoping I'll start feeling much better in the next couple days and that this silly toe injury will heal fast!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I know it is probably way too late for this info, but when my kids get coughs, I use Vick's Vapor Rub on their chests & feet. I put it on their feet at night and (if they will keep them on) put socks on and leave them on all night. It doesn't make the cough completely go away, but it definitely cuts it back a lot!

    What a bummer that you've been sick too- and to jam your toe to top it off. Ouch! At least we know that pregnancy doesn't last forever, and that eventually we will get our bodies back! I've been so sore and tired all the time lately. Haven't been able to go to the gym without extreme hip pain afterwards, even if all I do is walk on the treadmill at a 1.5 for 15 minutes. Really warm baths & heating pads do help, though. Carrying Madi up a flight of steps? Not helpful.

    ReplyDelete