Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Best Bread in the World aka Honey Whole Wheat with Oats

Awhile back I was searching for a delicious, from scratch, whole wheat bread recipe. My Grandma on Scott's side gave me an old ward cookbook a couple years ago, so I cracked it open. The first yeast bread recipe was titled: "The Best Bread in the World." Of course with a name like that I was intrigued and had to make it to see if it truly was the best bread in the world.

I must say, I was not disappointed!! Especially when I opened the plastic bag and cut a slice 3 days later and the bread was still as soft as the first day.


Now, a couple years later, I have made the recipe more than just a few times. Every time it turns out good, but I've discovered some tricks that make it even better.

1. I freeze my whole wheat flour (speaking of, the kind I have was fresh ground from my dad. He's the best). I only realized just last week that when I add freezer temperature flour to a warm yeast mixture, the dough doesn't stay cold enough for the yeast to rise well. Dur dur dur. So, if your flour is not room temperature, plan ahead and let it sit on the counter for a couple hours to warm up!!

2. I'm a big fan of really wheaty bread, and when I make wheat bread, I want 90% wheat flour. The original recipe only had 2/3 cup of whole wheat and the rest white flour. So I reversed it.

3. Kneading. I'm not a serious bread baker so I really never knew what "dough pulls away from bowl" meant until I actually kneaded my bread in my Kitchen Aid for 8 minutes. There was a magical change in texture after about 7 minutes. For the first 6 minutes I thought the dough didn't have enough flour, so I kept adding a tiny bit more. Then it started pulling away from the bowl slightly, so I stopped. Suddenly at minute 7 or 8, the dough went from almost total mushiness (read: soft cookie dough texture) to a nice, tight, springy and smooth ball. I stretched a little piece and found it didn't break easily so I stopped kneading (though another minute would not have hurt....except my mixer was getting tired).

I now know that kneading is essential for the gluten to bind and create air bubbles which in turn makes a lighter, fluffier bread. So, knead like crazy until you can't knead anymore!

4. Be patient with rising. I let the dough rise for 2 hours. Then I rolled it into loaves since I don't have bread pans, and let it rise another 3 hours. This also helps create a fluffier finished product. Someday I hope to have real bread pans...

And now, without further ado, here is:

The Best Bread in the World!!! 
Aka: Honey Whole Wheat with Oats
adapted from Twin Falls 15th ward cookbook




2 c. boiling water
1 c. rolled oats, uncooked.
Pour boiling water over the oats in a large bowl or mixer bowl. Let stand and cool about 5-10 minutes, stirring several times.

In a small bowl mix and let sit 5-10 minutes until foamy:
1 Tbl. yeast
1 Tbl. sugar
2/3 cup warm water (think shower temp)

When the oats are lukewarm, add to mixing bowl and stir to combine:
1 Tbl. salt
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbl. oil (or butter, melted and cooled)
1 1/3 c. white flour

Add yeast mixture. Then add slowly:
3-4 cups whole wheat flour**

Optional: 1/8-1/4 c. flax, chia seeds, other seeds/grains, etc.

When it gets too hard to mix with a wooden spoon or paddle attachment, switch to dough hook. Add wheat flour a little at a time while kneading until the dough just barely starts to pull from the side of the bowl. Knead for at least 8 minutes in a stand mixer or 10 minutes by hand until dough forms a soft ball, a smooth texture, and a small piece stretches easily without breaking quickly. Cover and allow to rise for 1-2 hours, or until doubled in size. Punch down and divide into two portions**. Shape and place into two greased bread pans and allow to rise 30 minutes-3 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. (You can brush the tops of loaves with warm honey and sprinkle with oats to dress it up before baking. I've never done it)

**I used fresh ground whole wheat flour and it took 4 cups. If using store bought, you may only need 2-3 cups. Add slowly so you don't add too much!!
**If you don't have bread pans: shape the dough into a rough rectangle and roll out gently to about 3/4-1 inch thickness. Cut in half lengthwise (perpendicular to long side) and roll each side like a cinnamon roll. Kinda tuck and pinch ends in and be sure to lay seam side down on a cookie sheet. You can bake both loaves at the same time on one sheet.

And if you're looking for some killer Chocolate Chip Cookies, check out my recipe in this post: The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World

2 comments:

  1. this sounds good! maybe i'll start adding oats to our bread. for the last couple of batches of bread i've made i decided to switch over completely to only using whole wheat flour and i've been really surprised and impressed to see that it hasn't really changed the flavor or texture. and kneading it IS so important! the batch i made last night has turned out better than any of the others i've made and i think its because it got to that perfect "pulling away from the bowl" stage. thanks for posting the recipe!

    also -- if you want fresh ground flour from a local source, i have a wheat grinder. :) you're more than welcome to ever come over and use it or i can do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have very little patience for making bread, but your post has actually given me the itch! Hopefully it will actually turn into me trying this recipe. Thanks for the tips - especially about kneading!

    ReplyDelete