Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Post-election thoughts & Grandma's Clam Chowder

Quick Thoughts on the Election:

-It's been interesting to see the "true colors" of people I thought I knew. I will never, ever, understand why people love Obama so much. What part of "4 trillion dollars in debt and millions of people unemployed" do you not understand?
-My hubby was right when he said "I hope Romney wins, but he won't. Our nation still needs to get a whole lot worse before it can start getting better." Makes me wonder what my children's lives will be like 20 years from now.
-What's done is done. We can't change the past. I did all I could do by voting, and so did you. Thus, we can't be mad about something we can't change. Now we just have to live with the consequences and pray.
-I feel a greater need to follow the prophet's counsel and build up our food storage, 72 hour kits, and become more self-reliant.
-I'm especially grateful for my testimony, for the Gospel truth in my life, for the Prophet of our church, for local leaders of our church, and for the knowledge I have that things will in fact get worse before they get better.


Now, onto more delicious things...


Comfort food for another cold, rainy, day. Or to feel better about the past 24 hours of election day.
I realize that not everyone loves, or even likes, clam chowder. I am not one of those people.
Thick, rich, creamy, sweet and salty, clam chowder is one of my all time favorite cold weather meals.
It reminds me of my Grandma, although I'm not sure she ever made it for me.
The way I received the recipe is very indicative of how my Grandma cooked: a little bit of this, some of that, mix together and walah.
I've added a few notes here and there, and once again, here's another example of a well loved, well used, crumbly, scribbled, stained recipe.


I have learned a couple things since the first time I started cooking this soup:

1. Use brand name clams
2. Make a Roux.
3. The veggie measurements don't matter too much. 


First off, brand name clams. Snow's is the best. I tried Geisha one time to save some money and there were mysterious black parts included in the meat. I don't know much about clam meat, but I know it wasn't very pretty and it bothered me. So now I use Snow's. You can use minced or chopped depending on your preference of size. Sometimes I use a combination of both, sometimes I don't. But I usually feel like chopped gives too many large chunks. Also, the recipe calls for 2 cans, I always use three. I like a little more meat and clammy flavor. If you don't, just use two cans. 

Second, a roux. If you're not familiar with what a roux is, google it. Basically, it's combining equal parts flour and fat (butter, shortening, etc) in a saucepan and cooking the flour out. In my experience, a roux is cooked adequately when it starts getting really thin and watery feeling and starts turning darker brown. However, when I researched it, instructions say to melt the butter and then add the flour. I usually melt them together. Whatever works for you. Then I add in the liquid (milk, water, broth), and bring it all to a boil. It thickens quickly and smoothly and is perfect for sauces and gravies. Before I knew what a roux was, and how to make it, I didn't ever cook the flour out enough so my cream sauce ended up lumpy. Now that I know, it turns out perfectly smooth and thick! Also, the flour binds to the milk somehow and prevents curdling. I read it somewhere and can't remember why, but it's true. 

Third, measurements. I'm talking about measurements for the veggies. The recipe doesn't specify an amount for carrots, and never has, and everything else is about 1 cup. I've found that I can use numbers of carrots, potatoes, and celery, without measuring it and it's always turned out fine. 



And now, here's the recipe!

Clam Chowder
2-3 cans minced or chopped clams
1 c. chopped onion (1 medium size)
chopped carrots (2 medium-large, peeled)
1 c. chopped celery (2-3 hearts)
2 c. diced, peeled, potatoes (2-3 medium size)

Drain clam juice over the veggies in a large stockpot. Fill water to the top of veggies. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Cream Sauce:
3/4 c. butter
3/4 c. flour
4 c. half & half (or 1 can evaporated milk, 1 c. milk, and the rest water)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. sugar

Melt the butter and then add the flour in a saucepan. Create a roux and cook to desired color (I like golden brown). Whisk in the milk mixture. Bring to a boil and allow to thicken and get creamy. Add the spices. When desired thickness is reached, pour cream sauce into pot with veggies. Add the clams and bring to a boil to thicken more if desired (5 minutes or so). 


I find this recipe to be really simple and quite easy once you get the hang of a roux for the cream sauce. Everything comes together in about 30 minutes if you're quick at peeling and chopping veggies. I love serving and dipping crusty artisan bread, like Ciabatta or Sourdough, in the soup. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy chowder! We made clam chowder on election night and it was yuuuummmmyyyyy. I think anything with a roux sauce is heaven in a bowl!

    ReplyDelete