Monday, November 5, 2012

Mayo v. Miracle Whip: The Great Debate

Folks, sometimes I get in a mood. The kind of mood where I make things up in my head, compose letters, scripts, stories, and responses to teasing. These things are generally funny and slightly clever, to me. It is during these times that I usually feel a need to blog.

Today we have Mayo v. Miracle Whip.


Some people may think, like I did in my immature, inexperienced, newly married life, that these two things are interchangeable, nearly identical, and one in the same. 
I am here to tell you, they are not!
My first glimpse of the vast differences of these products came by way of my sister in law at a summer bbq several years ago. I was hosting and planning and said we would have all the condiments for burgers: ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc. But what I meant was Miracle Whip. When everyone arrived, she was disappointed to find that my "mayo" was not really mayo at all, but indeed Miracle Whip, something I believe she was not fond of.

After that experience I thought perhaps I should start buying Mayo to see if it was better, worse, or nearly the same.



What about Miracle Whip? 
Miracle Whip is something I grew up on. 
Miracle Whip to us was mayo. We used the names interchangeable. We never saw real mayo in our home unless someone else bought it and left it there. 
Miracle Whip went on flat, round, eggs (fried, really).
Miracle Whip went on sandwiches.
Miracle Whip went on burgers, and in fry sauce, and in recipes. 
Mayo did not exist.



For over a year, I continued to purchase Mayo, thinking that maybe I would like it one day. We managed to make it through a big, round, container, before I decided to buy Miracle Whip again. That decision diminished slightly when I needed to make a dip with Mayo. Enter, small bottle of Mayo.
Then my mom came to visit. 
For breakfast one morning she asked if we had MW and if I still dipped my eggs in it. Of course I responded: "yes! I love MW on my eggs! But, no, we don't have any..."
From that time forth, I have realized: I do not like mayo. 



Mayo is too creamy, too eggy, too smooth and fattening tasting. MW is tangy and delicious and many other things. However, when disguised on a Subway sandwich, mayo is completely edible.
While I may upon occasion host Mayo in my fridge for various reasons, I would like you to know that I much prefer MW. 
I can't wait to dip my flat, round, egg in some tomorrow morning! 


...why yes, I did have a Mayo v. MW photo shoot on my kitchen table. 
It's been one of those days...


3 comments:

  1. Hee hee hee, funny post! I can't imagine that you have another SIL besides me with an aversion to Miracle Whip. I guess it's all about what you grow up with. I don't like MW and I can't stand tuna! I'll keep a little bottle of MW in my fridge though, just in case you ever drop by! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do think it's what you grew up with! And I really did try to like Mayo after that bbq. I honestly had no idea they were so different. Haha! Sometimes mayo is good on specific things, but not always. :-)

      Delete
  2. Haha, this cracks me up. When I lived with the Hansens, Sister Hansen had to buy me my own tiny bottle of mayo. :) They are DEFINITELY different.

    ReplyDelete