Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pre-injury and pre-camp. What not to do.

On Tuesday morning I will embark on a very exciting, dirty, sweaty, and fun adventure....

GIRLS CAMP!!!!



I really cannot wait and I am SO excited! I'm also a little nervous seeing as how I'm the Camp Director for our ward, so I have added responsibility instead of just being there. But, I'm always up for an adventure and a challenge. I also really can't wait to spend time outside! I feel like I've been so busy this summer (mostly getting ready for camp) that I haven't been outside much at all! Bring on the farmer's tan, baby!

In lieu of my absence, this is the last you will hear from me before I make my spectacular comeback. Which will surely include crashing in bed for a week straight before hitting the pool every. single. day.

I also just wanted to share a running update:

I'm usually a really good example of what not to do in life...

2 Monday's ago I started running harder, faster, and longer. I tracked about 17 miles averaging a 9.5 minute mile after my first 5k. Then last week, I could only run about 12.5 miles because the knee pain began. I tried to slow my pace, but suddenly, and very oddly, a 9.5 minute mile feels really comfortable for me. However, I have to back off a bit if I want my knee to stop hurting and be fine for my upcoming race on the 30th.

Girls Camp will be a good break, but I'll be sad to not run.

I talked with my mom about it briefly (oh yeah, she's been running for about 5 years now), and she said in her experience she had knee pain when: mileage increased to quickly, speed increased too quickly, and/or lack of cross training on the rest of the body.

I guess she may be right because I haven't been cross training. At all. OOPS. I also really increased my miles and speed (not purposely!) at the same time the week before I started hurting. So, when I get back from Camp, I may have to run slow and short for a few days before I can resume my normal training. I also plan on cross training more and doing some weight lifting.

So, let that be a lesson to you, beginner runners (including myself), to not over train too quickly! Otherwise, injury may sneak up on you. And there's not much worse than getting injured right after you find a good groove and right before a big race.

Happy Sunday and have a good week everyone!
Until I'm back from the great outdoor adventure.... 

k

P.S. Because I know you miss him, and because I am the coolest mom on the block, here is Bubs last Sunday:

Yes, that is my kitchen sink.
Yes, he climbed in himself.
Yes, he turned the water on himself.
Yes, he is completely soaking wet.

Yes, he was absolutely thrilled and laughing the whole time.
It's okay to go "swimming" in the sink, right?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so sorry about that injury! Haha I can't imagine running that far at once! I hope girl's camp is a good break for ya! Bring a wrap or something in case it gets worse during the week!

    That little bubsy boy is just precious!! How on earth did he climb in himself? Nathan hasn't quite figured out the science of scooting chairs over to what he wants to get to. I am so enjoying life until that discovery is made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my heck, his smile is the epitome of childhood joy! So cute! Good luck and have a BLAST at camp!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Girls Camp. I loved going when I was in high school. I hope you have fun and that your knee gets better soon so you can keep running! Loved the pictures! What a happy baby!

    ReplyDelete