Wednesday, June 6, 2012

10 tips to start running

I still don't consider myself a runner, but I thought I'd share some tips about getting started.

1. Start small.

Choose a small distance you want to run and then run it without stopping. For example, once around a track, or from here to that mailbox, or one mile. Take a one or two minute walking break, then run the distance again.

2. Gradually increase your distance.

As it gets easier running a set distance, start increasing that distance. Push yourself to see how far you can go beyond the landmark you were trying to meet. Celebrate the small and big accomplishments! You're stronger than you think!

3. Don't worry about your speed. Yet.

I was talking to a runner friend of mine and asked for some tips about speed and distance. She told me it's much more important to build up your endurance first before your speed. She said the speed will come in time, but you need to build your distance and increase your mileage. My mom told me she read somewhere that you should be running for 3-4 years before trying to increase your speed. I think it's a personal decision, but I have found as my endurance and distance has increased, my speed has increased slightly as well. When I run, I don't try to run fast, I try to find a comfortable pace that I can maintain for the miles I've planned. I time every run and plug in the miles and minutes. Sometimes I run faster, sometimes slower. My speed really depends on how my morning goes, how awake I am, what the weather is like, how I feel, and what type of terrain I'm running.

4. "Run until you can't run another step, then walk to catch your breath, then repeat."

I picked up some old Runner's World magazines from my mom and found this quote in there. It was from a track couch to an old student who came back for running advice. I've found that when I think this way, I'm surprised at how far I can go. I really like to compete with myself and beat my goals in my mind. It's a fun mental game I play when I run.

5. "I've never been on a run that I regret, but I always regret not running."

My mom shared this piece of advice with me one day. Now I repeat something similar every morning when I wake up. It's incredibly motivating and ridiculously true. I have yet to run a run I regret. But every time I think about running and don't go, I feel guilty and regret it. Even if you have time or energy to only run a mile, that's better than sitting on the couch doing nothing.

6. Find a time to run that works for you. Before someone else finds something else they think is more important for you to be doing. My time happens to be at 6:00 am. What about you?

7. Fight through the pain. (unless it's an injury!)

Every time I go out to run, the first 1/2 mile kills me. I became quickly aware of this and now I remind myself that once I get past the first 1/2 mile, I'll feel much better. I usually feel another plateau around 3 miles, but I found the other day that once I hit 4 miles, it was much easier to keep going. Moral of the story? Fight through the plateaus and you'll be surprised at how strong you are.

8. Stay hydrated and eat well!!

Drinking tons of water is so important for running. I'm still a work in progress on this, but I feel much better when I drink more water. Eating is also important. Protein, fiber, and complex carbs will provide more energy and sustenance than refined and processed food. Also, the more you run, the hungrier you'll be, so stock up on good snacks. I've been a fruit craving machine since I started running. Especially berries. I should probably stop eating a nightly bowl of ice cream though.... ;-)

9. Get at least one outfit that is good quality running gear (and cute, too!)

Some good spanx on bottom (and top for the ladies), as well as a shirt that is comfy and breathable is important. Also keep in mind what type of weather you're running in. If it's 50 degrees or below, I wear pants and a t-shirt. 55-65 degrees I wear capris and a t-shirt. 65-73 degrees I wear capris and a tank. Anything above 74 degrees I'll wear shorts and a tank top. But that's my preference, in Missouri weather, for now.

10. Good shoes make a world of difference.

If you're going to run, and can only invest in one thing, invest in shoes. Would you drive a car on bald tires? Would you play a football game without pads? Would you swim without a swimsuit (don't answer that, please!) Whether it's running barefoot, running in five fingers/skeletoes, or running in tennis shoes, find something that works for you. Old, worn out, shoes will provide blisters, sore muscles, and achy joints. Not fun. I like my current shoes, but the more I run, the more I'm considering even more of a minimalist shoe. I have found that running with a toe strike alleviates alot of pain in my knees and ankles vs a heel strike.

Bonus: If running to music is your thing, put together a rockin' playlist that will keep you motivated. What's on mine? Favorites first:

-Na Na Na, My Chemical Romance
-Party Rock Anthem, LMFAO
-Starships, Nicki Manaj (wish it was edited better though)
-Throw It On Me, Timbaland
-Sexy And I Know It, LMFAO
-Good Feeling, Flo Rida
-You Make Me Feel Good, Cobra Starship
-La La La, LMFAO
-Stronger, Kelly Clarkson


Some others that I like alot:
Jump, Flo Rida
Let It Rock, Kevin Rudolf
Moves Like Jagger, Maroon 5
Gettin' Over You, David Guetta
Party Poison, My Chemical Romance
Boom Boom Pow, Black Eyed Peas
Imma Be, Black Eyed Peas
Never Again, Kelly Clarkson

And of course, the song I always play first, out of habit:

I Gotta Feeling, Black Eyed Peas


I may or may not change the words in my head to "today's gonna be a good run, today's gonna be a good good run." 

What's on your playlist? What are some things you've found to be successful as you've started running? I'd love to hear from ya!



4 comments:

  1. Don't know if planned or not but I love that you posted this on National Running Day. :) Also wanted to mention, per my running friend, if you want to run in the St Louis Rock N Roll half marathon you can register today and get $20 off the registration fee. Since NRD and all. In case you are interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually can't run to music. It makes it harder for me to keep a steady pace because I want to run to the rhythm of the music and it changes with each song. One thing that I found helped me when I started running was to sign up for a race. That way I had a deadline and something to motivate me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the motivation. After reading your post I woke up the next morning and got myself out the door and did 3 miles. My son loved the long stroller ride :) I did it again Saturday and hopefully I can keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all the tips you put on here! One thing I would add is the importance of eating the right breakfast before you run. And I think that is different for everyone. I ate oatmeal before a race once, and got really sick to my stomach halfway through. I drank a protein shake before my most recent 10k, and felt great.

    I usually don't listen to music when I do my training runs. The silence helps me focus better on keeping the right pace. I do when I race, though, because I need the distraction (and motivation to keep going), what with all the people running around me. I always run faster in a race than in training, though.

    Good shoes are crucial!! Nuff said.

    Good luck on your race on the 30th! Take it easy & don't push too hard, even if you feel like you can or want to. It's so much better to go a little slower or not go quite as far, to avoid an injury. I know I am preaching to the choir here, I really feel like you know your body well and have the running thing pretty much figured out. I think it's awesome that you are into it!

    ReplyDelete