Friday, February 24, 2012

Our New Bundle of Love! **edit: with pictures!

Note to Self: In the future, it's okay, no, it's a really good idea, to get a puppy that is older than 8 weeks old. In fact, 12 weeks old would be great.

It's official.
We have now joined the ranks of Dog Owners!



We met our sweet little Kaiya for the first time on February 23, 2012, at about 11:50 am, in Kirksville, MO. She looks exactly like her pictures, only much more fluffy, cute, and small! I believe it's safe to say we were all a little shocked at how little she is. I would guess her weight is somewhere around 2 pounds. (eta: at her vet appointment on 2/25 she weighed 2.9 pounds)



After getting kicked out of Wal-Mart for bringing in a puppy, we began the journey home with a new bundle of joy. She was only really whiny for the first 45 minutes, and I was only really jealous the entire drive home. Mostly because I was driving and not playing with my puppy. We made a pit stop and let the kiddos run around and stretch their legs. Bubs loves Kaiya and Kaiya loves Bubs! She was chasing him all over the place and he was giving her lots of soft pats and giggles.


Kaiya was a complete, utter, bundle of love until it was bedtime. Unfortunately, she did not come to us kennel/crate trained, and she was very clear about letting us know. Neither Mr. Man nor I got any sleep until about 2:30 am, at which point we gave up and let her sleep in our bed. Something I swore I'd never do, however, when it gets to that emergency situation, I prefer to get sleep!







Remember how so many people told me a puppy would be like having another baby? Well, guess what? You're right. I totally feel like I have two kids. Two very needy kids babies. Both of them want my constant attention and the cozy seat on my lap...at the same time. They also both feel the need to be at my heels, always, wherever I go. Luckily, my dear, sweet, man was able to come home for lunch which allowed me to clean up our apartment, serve lunch, and put Bubs down for a nap, thus providing me with an opportunity to shower...at 2 pm. TGIF.




So, what have I learned thus far?

1. Pee pads seem rather worthless (anyone ever had luck with them? how?)
2. I'm grateful for hardwood floors! Though she has only had a couple accidents, which were my fault.
3. Next time we'll get an older puppy who has been crate trained.
4. A 2 pound bundle of black fluff is really easy to lose, even in a small apartment.
5. Puppy crying is ten times worse than baby crying, sorry neighbors!!
6. If I make it through the next 4 months with no major catastrophes, no serious losses, and a head full of hair, I will feel successful.

With that said, we absolutely love her and she is the cutest little puppy I have ever seen! We are totally open for visitors and friends, you can even bring your dog if you want, since she needs to socialize, and it's fun to show her off.

"Boy & Dog"


eta: All photos credit of Kamian Gille, who is awesome. Also, we had a much better 2nd night. She still whines when she first goes in her kennel, but she slept in 2-3 hour increments and pottied outside every time we took her! I have a feeling she will be a very good dog.

3 comments:

  1. cuuuute!!! I love that bit about losing the little ball of black fluff--it sounds adorable! When you get a chance you'll have to take a video of Kaiya and Bubsy boy! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yayayayayayay!!! I love these pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karissa, I love your puppy! So cute! You are making me want a puppy so badly!

    ReplyDelete