Thursday, July 14, 2011

Delicious Veggie Wraps!

I've been in a cooking funk lately. I haven't really felt like making the old, normal, stand by recipes. Haven't really felt like cooking at all, actually. Much less grocery shopping. Or meal planning. Or really anything. Carry-out pizza, cereal, or ice cream with break n bake cookies have sounded most appealing for dinner. 

But I realized this was not good.
Nor healthy.
Nor budget friendly.

So I found a book at the library "The Complete Idiots Guide to Eating Well on a Budget."


I'm not really a complete idiot...

But I got some inspiration and motivation to once again meal plan, try new recipes, and eat healthy. 
So after grocery shopping, with a strict list, and only buying what we needed for the week, I've made a new recipe every night. 

Last night's was the winner so far. It's the perfect light and hearty, colorful, delicious, end of a hot summer day kind of meal. Easy too! And incredibly yummy! Here is the recipe...

But you should know first that I'm not good at measuring spices. 
I'm also not good at sticking to a recipe. 
I always add a little more of this, and a shake of that. 
So bear with me. 
And read my edits in italics.

Here's a picture.



Cheesy Veggie Wraps
adapted from "Complete Idiots Guide to Eating well..."

1/4 c. cottage cheese (low fat is great)
2 oz. cream cheese (1/3 less fat is great)
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
a shake of garlic powder (1/4 tsp?)
a grind of black pepper (1/4 tsp?)
a grind of sea salt (1/4 tsp?)
1 chicken breast half, sliced, cooked, and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and italian seasoning.
1 c. spinach, washed and torn
1/4 c. shredded  sliced carrots
1/4 c. chopped celery. 
I do not like celery. So I opted for sliced cucumber. PERFECT!
sliced avocado
chopped tomato
tortillas

Basically you mix the cheeses and spices in a bowl. Cook up some tortillas, I like the uncooked ones from Costco. And then spread the cheesy stuff on the tortilla and top with an array of veggies. 

I'm kind of an avocado whore these days. I think avocado should go on everything and anything. It's particularly delish in this recipe because it adds nice, smooth, creamy texture. I also thought I would add grilled chicken to add some heartiness. It added good texture and flavor, but it can be omitted if you want. The cucumbers are so light and fresh and the tomatoes and carrots are vegetable staples. You could really use whatever veggies are in season at the time, as I don't think you can do wrong with this dish. 

As you can see from the italics, I don't really follow recipes and I make alot of my own changes. I think this time around my changes enhanced the meal and made it spectacular! Although the cheese spread base is what really makes the flavors pop.

Anyway, it really is a perfect summer meal. Especially served with fresh strawberries or watermelon.

As Mister Man said last night "wow, this is really colorful!" That's exactly the goal for cooking healthy. You want lots of colors! And this meal had it.

I'm done raving now. Please make it. And love it. And tell me how amazing it was. 
You can thank me in advance ;-)

The end.

1 comment: