Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Are Women Cursed with Bad Car Karma?

Today was quite the adventure, however, it started out as a perfectly normal day. We woke up, went to school, Scott went to work and we had plans to meet and go get lunch. Well, as I got in the car after class to head over to his work, about a mile away, I noticed something was terribly wrong with the steering. Then I started feeling something in the tire. Then I heard squeaking. Then I felt metal against asphalt. Then I realized I was driving on a completely flat tire. As soon as I got to his work, Scott came out and we assessed the damage. After deliberating for several minutes, we decided it would be best to try to change the tire.

Wrong.

It was absolutely impossible to get the bolts unscrewed. They we insanely way too tight. So we attempted the next plausible solution: pump up the tire and drive to "Big-O Tires." Scott got his boss and used his truck for the cigarette adapter thing to turn the little pump on. Because, of course, the one in our car is broken.

After about 10 minutes, our little pump started smoking and the tire was still flat. We turned it off and luckily, Scott's boss (Mike) was just turning the corner with a big air pump. We filled the tire and drove carefully to Big-O. They fixed everything in about 20 minutes (while we finally ate our lunch) and we were off. This whole "lunch break" was supposed to be about 30 minutes but it took about an hour and a half...actually, about 2 hours. And now I"m home.

I present the question "Are women cursed with bad car karma?" because this is the second time I've had car troubles when I've been driving BY MYSELF. Of course, our car NEVER has issues with Scott. Just me. Last time it completely died and I had to walk 3 blocks to get home and find a ride to campus. However, Scott was able to quite quickly get it started and running just fine.

Now as I reflect upon this afternoon, a phrase keeps coming to mind "When it rains, it pours". At first I thought that was the case today, but I decided it is actually not. I decided to count my blessings and be grateful for what could have happened but didn't:

1. The tire could have been completely slashed (they're brand new, great tires)
2. The rim could have been completely destroyed.
3. The tire could have exploded, and caused an accident
4. The rim could have sparked and caused more damage
5. We could have had nobody to help us, or worse, I could have been stranded without a phone and way to get ahold of Scott.
6. We could have had to pay lots of money to replace the tire instead of a free patch job included in the previous owners purchase of lifetime tire service.
7. I could have had school, work, and other commitments all day, when in fact I had absolutely nothing scheduled until 5:00 tonight.

So essentially, today it just rained. It didn't pour. And we have alot to be grateful for. I find that each trial Scott and I have (which has been a seemingly large amount since our marriage), we grow closer together and our trust and love builds. So it's a good thing, right?

Yes. But I'm content with this not ever happening again. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment